A man and his plane

A man and his plane

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
15 Dec 03

A pilot wants to celebrate the New Year in style, so he decides to fly over his home city with a banner streaming from the back of his plane. He sits up New Years eve painting out the year on an enormous banner, which he then attaches to the back of his plane. He sets out the next day, flying around showing off his wonderful banner, but upon landing discovers to his dismay that he has attached it upside down. 😲 But then he looks again and realises that it doesn't matter.

So, the question is this : What year did he paint the banner in?

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
15 Dec 03

Originally posted by jimmyb270
A pilot wants to celebrate the New Year in style, so he decides to fly over his home city with a banner streaming from the back of his plane. He sits up New Years eve painting out the year on an enormous banner, which he then attaches to the back of his plane. He sets out the next day, flying around showing off his wonderful banner, but upon landing discov ...[text shortened]... ses that it doesn't matter.

Lots of possible answers. Could you narrow it down a bit?

My guess is that he painted the banner in the year 1960, as that's the only answer between 1903 (first heavier-than-air flight) and 2003.

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
15 Dec 03
1 edit

That's the puppy. What other possibilities are there? The only other (slightly dubious) one I can think of is 2001, 2s look sort of right upside down.

Now With Added BA

Loughborough

Moves
15 Dec 03

That's the puppy. What other possibilities are there? The only other (slightly dubious) one I can think of is 2001, 2s look sort of right upside down.
Well, there are years like 68, 608, 6008 etc. 😀

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
16 Dec 03

Well 6008 hasn't happened yet, and I don't think they had flight in 68 or 608.

Barefoot Chessplayer

central usa

Moves
16 Dec 03

i guess the question is whether "upside down" means "flipped 180 degrees" as one usually thinks of it on paper rather than printed upside down.
if the above is correct, the answer would be 1961. it could have been 1881, but there were no airplanes then. 😀
the next time this happens is a long way in the future (when?)!

e
Robbo

a Brave new world

Moves
16 Dec 03

Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
i guess the question is whether "upside down" means "flipped 180 degrees" as one usually thinks of it on paper rather than printed upside down.
if the above is correct, the answer would be [b]1961
. it could have been 1881, but there were no airplanes then. 😀
the next time this happens is a long way in the future (when?)![/b]
I agree with 1961, I think the next time this happens is 6009, over 4000 years into the future

j
Top Gun

Angels 20

Moves
17 Dec 03

Originally posted by BarefootChessPlayer
If you read the question, it does say that he puts the sign on upside down. You can't really paint something upside down by accident!

k
Wormtongue

Edoras

Moves
17 Dec 03

If the digit "1" is painted correctly i.e. with the slightly diagonal stroke at the top of the vertical and the horizontal underline at the base of the vertical, an upside down "1" looks more like an angular, squashed, back-to-front "J" 😕😛

j

Maine USA

Moves
28 Dec 03

HAHA in the year l96l

You have a better shot arguing the deslexia of 2's and 5's.
like 2005

l

Bloomfield Hills

Moves
28 Apr 05

Three fish are in a bowl. One drowns. How many are left?😀

K

Moves
29 Apr 05

Originally posted by legoman
You found this thread back in Dec '03 and you decided to put this in it?! Doesn't refer to the topic in hand at all!

Anyway, I presume there are still three left. Just because he's dead doesn't mean he's been taken out yet. Am I right?

A
Lazy Sod

Everywhere

Moves
30 Apr 05

Originally posted by legoman
How would a fish drown. We could say due to lack of WATER, or lack of OXYGENATED water. In the former, the bowl is empty, or the fish has leadped out. If the bowl is empty, all the fish are dead, if he leaped out, two remain.

If it is due to lack of OXYGENATED water, they are all dead.

S

Moves
30 Apr 05

A pilot wants to celebrate the New Year in style, so he decides to fly over his home city with a banner streaming from the back of his plane. He sits up New Years eve painting out the year on an enormous banner, which he then attaches to the back of his plane. He sets out the next day, flying around showing off his wonderful banner, but upon landing discov ...[text shortened]... ses that it doesn't matter.

How does the pilot discover that the banner was attached upside down?

S

Moves
30 Apr 05

Originally posted by Alcra
How would a fish drown. We could say due to lack of WATER, or lack of OXYGENATED water. In the former, the bowl is empty, or the fish has leadped out. If the bowl is empty, all the fish are dead, if he leaped out, two remain.

If it is due to lack of OXYGENATED water, they are all dead.

I disagree one dies first.