A lot of balls

A lot of balls

Posers and Puzzles

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
05 Oct 10
2 edits

Originally posted by iamatiger
The whole numbering thing is immaterial.

step 1, bag has 1, 2

step 2, bag has 2,3,4

step 3, bag has 3,4,5,6

step 4, bag has 4,5,6,7,8

Even though your friend takes your numbers out, he takes them out too slowly to catch up. Lets do a simple transform that does not change the number of the balls:

The converted ball number on step N is ball ...[text shortened]... hows your friend is getting nowhere. He may as well stop removing balls, it makes no difference.
The numbering thing only matters because it ensures every ball is eventually removed. Taking only odd balls does not, so an infinite number of balls remain.

Your sequence highlights what mtthw already said. At step n (defined as you did), we have balls n, n+1,...,2n. But the lower bound is converging to infinity, yet we know that IF there are any balls left there must be a lowest numbered ball (you're welcome to disprove my argument from before if you think it's wrong), so it's impossible that there are infinite balls in the bag at t=0.

It's still possible that the problem is not well defined, as mtthw said (I don't agree), but it's certainly not possible that the problem is well defined and there are infinite balls in the bag.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Oct 10

Originally posted by PBE6
"If you've done six impossible things this morning, why not round if off with breakfast at Millyways?" - Douglas Adams

Suppose you and your friend come into possession of a bag of infinite capacity, along with an infinite supply of numbered balls and a stopwatch with an infinite number of gradations. After watching the universe explode ...[text shortened]...
[b]Question:
How many balls will be left in the bag when the stopwatch reads 0 seconds?[/b]
Infinite
after 0 secs 2 balls
after 30 secs 3 balls
after 45 secs 4 balls
after 52.5 balls 5 balls

so we have an infinite arithmetic sequence {2,3,4,5, ....}

and there are guys on here saying that the sequence tends to zero?!?!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 Oct 10

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Infinite
after 0 secs 2 balls
after 30 secs 3 balls
after 45 secs 4 balls
after 52.5 balls 5 balls

so we have an infinite arithmetic sequence {2,3,4,5, ....}

and there are guys on here saying that the sequence tends to zero?!?!
Yes, there are.

Maybe you should read the thread as I've proven that having infinite balls leads to a contradiction. You're welcome to disprove the argument.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 Oct 10

Another way to look at it:

What's the set of balls put into the bag?
{1,2,3,4,5...}

What's the set of balls removed from the bag?
{1,2,3,4,5,...}

The sets are the same!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Oct 10

Originally posted by Palynka
Yes, there are.

Maybe you should read the thread as I've proven that having infinite balls leads to a contradiction. You're welcome to disprove the argument.
Would you agree that one way of defining a limit is that one can get as close to the limit as one wants?

e.g.#1
1/2+1/4+1/8+ ...
we know limit is 1 because ANY number less than 1 can be achieved in sufficient steps.
(0.9 or 0.9999999 or 0.9999999999999999999999999)
1+2+3+ ...
we know limit is inf because ANY number can be achieved in sufficient steps.
(1,000,000 or 5,000,000 or 9,999,999,999,999,999,999,999)

Now with our current problem how close can we get to zero?
How close can we get to infinity?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Oct 10

Its 30 years since my maths degree so I am rusty. 😞

But I think I can prove the answer is NOT zero.

by definition if the limit of s1, s2, ... is L then for every real number r > 0, there exists a natural number x such that for all n > x, |sn &#8722; L| < r.

(This means that eventually all elements of the sequence get as close as we want to the limit)

now if you believe limit is 0
and I give you r=1/2 (not that close!!)

show me x

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Oct 10

The proof to infinity is intuitive .. so intuitive I cannot get it (yet)

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 Oct 10

Its 30 years since my maths degree so I am rusty. 😞

But I think I can prove the answer is NOT zero.

by definition if the limit of s1, s2, ... is L then for every real number r > 0, there exists a natural number x such that for all n > x, |sn &#8722; L| < r.

(This means that eventually all elements of the sequence get as close as we want to the limit)

now if you believe limit is 0
and I give you r=1/2 (not that close!!)

show me x
For every numbered ball N I can find a step S when the ball is removed.

Moves
06 Oct 10
3 edits

I think an infinite countable set can have finite lower or upper bounds, or neither but not both, and both its bounds can be infinite with the same sign.

The set of balls in this problem has no upper bound, and no finite lower bound but despite its infinite bound with the same sign, and its countability, it is still provably infinite.

For instance it can be proved that the set has an infinite lower bound and its members are equal in number to the integers between 0 and its lower bound.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Oct 10

For every numbered ball N I can find a step S when the ball is removed.
yes we can prove that

BUT

the question is how many balls in the bag

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 Oct 10

yes we can prove that

BUT

the question is how many balls in the bag
So if every ball is eventually removed, what is left?

m

Moves
06 Oct 10

I suppose the response to anyone claiming there are an infinite number of balls left is "name one".

For me, the root of the problem is this. We know what it means for a sequence of numbers to have a limit - we can define it precisely. But what is the definition of the limit of a sequence of sets?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 Oct 10
1 edit

So if every ball is eventually removed, what is left?
That is not the question either.
But if you remove ball N then ball 2N is still there.

Moves
06 Oct 10
1 edit

Originally posted by mtthw
I suppose the response to anyone claiming there are an infinite number of balls left is "name one".

For me, the root of the problem is this. We know what it means for a sequence of numbers to have a limit - we can define it precisely. But what is the definition of the limit of a sequence of sets?
Positive infinity. That's the only name you'll get seeing as both the lower and the upper bound are that. Funny that: An infinite set can have equal lower and upper bounds, and an infinite number of contents nevertheless!

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
06 Oct 10

That is not the question either.
But if you remove ball N then ball 2N is still there.
How can "What is left?" not be the question?

Yes, but I still have infinite many steps in front of me and I will remove 2N, 4N, 8N, ...