1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 16:42
    Originally posted by Dragon Fire
    Marriages?
    Married for just three months and already he is jaded by it all.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 16:45
    If what you are saying (and I suspect it is) that you don't play like a patzer one day and a GM the next then I agree. Such a sudden and dramatic improvement evidenced by a long string of games (at patzer level) suddening becoming a long string of games (at GM level) would indicate definate abuse. Any such improvement would be slow (over years not month ...[text shortened]... se is possible. Analysis of a significant number of games would then be required to prove this.
    This has been discussed ad nauseam. All blunder rates tell you is how careful a player is - an engine user with a high blunder rate is just a careless engine user; honest players are going to miss things.

The main things I imagine that the games mods look for are match up rates and "engine only" mistakes. There are various things engines do to improve their performance which make them vulnerable in some positions (eg. zugzwang at the leaf nodes in the search tree if the engine uses a null move heuristic). Heading for such a position would be indicative of engine use. The only thing that the games moderators have told us is that they take evidence from many games, so non-engine users need have little fear about being unfairly banned.

Also 3b applies not only to engine cheats, but also to people who get human help. The site admins may have gotten hold of evidence that some of these people were getting non-engine outside help.

I'm quite wary of the statement that sudden improvements in performance are due to cheating. I think people's chess improvement has a tendency of coming in bursts, so that people will have jumps in rating. In correspondence chess this is, if anything, exaggerated as games can start before the period of improvement and end after it - so that the improvers rating only really starts to go up after they've finished off the games their earlier, less skilled, self had already messed up. Sudden improvements in rating may be cause for suspicion, but I'd hope a thorough examination of their games would be the only thing that the games moderators would use as evidence to ban people.
  3. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 17:00
    They should also be checking the frequency with which the player downloads the PGN/FEN files of a game. If it's every other turn or more than that, that would, to me, indicate very suspicious behavior. I mean, who needs to see PGN/FEN copies of the game every move?
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 17:01
    Originally posted by UndeadNightOrc
    They should also be checking the frequency with which the player downloads the PGN/FEN files of a game. If it's every other turn or more than that, that would, to me, indicate very suspicious behavior. I mean, who needs to see PGN/FEN copies of the game every move?
    most people here use databases and download pgns all the time.
  5. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 17:01
    I can see little point in downloading it until the game is over.
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 17:43
    I can see little point in downloading it until the game is over.
    I do so occasionally because chessbase is nice enough to record the variations I explore. However, the analyze board feature here does not.
  7. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 17:57
    At the moment I am using a legacy browser. This means that I can't use the analysis board, it just doesn't work. This means that I am downloading the fen on almost every move, to put into SCID to get the same functionality as the analysis board.
  8. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 18:14
    I'm not sure how accurate the rating system here is, would it be possible for a 2000+ rated player here to still require use of an opening database in a majority of their games? Perhaps in a small percentage of those games. But someone rated so high should already be knowledgable enough in their opening repetoire to not have to repeatedly download PGN/FENs for every move in every game.

Of course, having read this, engine users are probably going to switch tactics and avoid the use of PGN/FEN downloads now...
  9. England
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 18:39
    Nice observation made Mr. UNO - being a non-techy (my last computer programme was chess master 5000 or something!), I don't think about all these computer manipulations. 🙂
  10. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 19:01
    Originally posted by thekillersfan
    Nice observation made Mr. UNO - being a non-techy (my last computer programme was chess master 5000 or something!), I don't think about all these computer manipulations. 🙂
    Look, this is a total red herring - if someone never downloaded the PGN would you take that as evidence of non-use of an engine? It's like saying that all people who own knives are murder suspects. The way engine users are caught is by the moves they make, and occasionally by confessing in the forums; using the FEN or PGN in a database or winboard is perfectly within the rules of the site provided that no engine is switched on.
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 19:073 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 19:16
    Could a mod rename this thread "Cheat School 101"?

D
  13. Joined
    26 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 19:19
    Originally posted by zintieriv
    perhaps other players under the USA flag will be in trouble quite soon
    Yes. Because obviously all the banned players are from the US. Oh wait...

Perhaps players under the peru flag will jump off a bridge quite soon.
  14. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 19:23
    Perhaps we could have a country named Engineuserland to catch the stupid.

Wait a minute!

Engineuserland!😲
  15. Standard memberDragon Fire
    Lord of all beasts
    searching for truth
    Moves
    09 Feb '07 19:25
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    Perhaps we could have a country named Engineuserland to catch the stupid.

Wait a minute!

[b]Eng
    ineuserland!😲[/b]
    Is this a confession?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree