Woohoo 1700!

Woohoo 1700!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rb

Behind the computer.

Moves
20 Feb 09

It's been 2 - 2.5 years of me on this site, and I remember putting the goal of getting to 1700 while I was 1200-1300. It seemed unrealistic, and I thought I was just aiming too high. But I finally got here, with the help of starting chess lessons, cutting down games, using tactic problems and learning openings. Now it's time for me to set my sights up again to 1900ish. What should I do to improve more, is there some specific things that I can do to reach these goals? For example specific books, openings I should look into... etc.

Thanks for the help!
Rb

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by range blasts
It's been 2 - 2.5 years of me on this site, and I remember putting the goal of getting to 1700 while I was 1200-1300. It seemed unrealistic, and I thought I was just aiming too high. But I finally got here, with the help of starting chess lessons, cutting down games, using tactic problems and learning openings. Now it's time for me to set my sights up a ...[text shortened]... s? For example specific books, openings I should look into... etc.

Thanks for the help!
Rb
Well done! I hope many people who read this realize that gaining playing stregnth in chess takes persistence and work. I have to remind
myself of this sometimes. 😏

Moves
20 Feb 09

It's been 2 - 2.5 years of me on this site, and I remember putting the goal of getting to 1700 while I was 1200-1300. It seemed unrealistic, and I thought I was just aiming too high. But I finally got here, with the help of starting chess lessons, cutting down games, using tactic problems and learning openings. Now it's time for me to set my sights up a ...[text shortened]... s? For example specific books, openings I should look into... etc.

Thanks for the help!
Rb
Can you go into detail a little more?

Just so I can follow that path.

I'm a 1400 player who would kill to be a solid 1700.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
20 Feb 09

Thanks for the help!
Rb
Congratulations! Hard work always pays off! I think it is in most peoples ability to achieve 19-2000 grade with effort. 🙂

L
Stick your hands up

Your bum

Moves
20 Feb 09

Nice one mate! Just hope your graph doesn't end up looking like mine 🙂

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
20 Feb 09

For what it may be worth to you[hopefully a lot] study the games of any of the great players past and present,and persist in doing so until you are quite convinced that you clearly understand why they select their moves,and not alternative moves.It may well be a somewhat long and slow process,but will prove to be a more successful method than any other that I am yet aware of.----------😉

rb

Behind the computer.

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by Enihkela
Can you go into detail a little more?

Just so I can follow that path.

I'm a 1400 player who would kill to be a solid 1700.
Sure, no problem, well first, I just need to say that I've just recently (7-8 months) started playing chess more seriously. One of the major things that improved my game a lot was my chess coach, (2300 FIDE), I take group lessons every week with players around 1500+ (granted, I'm probably not that good.) Another major thing that has helped a whole lot is studying/tactics (something my coach got me started on). Instead of trying to do a million tactics in one day, and leaving it there, you should try just doing at LEAST one tactic puzzle a day, and study positions and anything else for 15-30 minutes. Another thing I'm not too sure on, but, I'll say it anyways. I've been playing KG as white (Which again, my coach has me doing) which, according to him, is supposed to help your play greatly with the amount of tactical play and such.

Rb

rb

Behind the computer.

Moves
20 Feb 09

Originally posted by RECUVIC
For what it may be worth to you[hopefully a lot] study the games of any of the great players past and present,and persist in doing so until you are quite convinced that you clearly understand why they select their moves,and not alternative moves.It may well be a somewhat long and slow process,but will prove to be a more successful method than any other that I am yet aware of.----------😉
Sounds great! Thanks 🙂. Is there any specific Grandmasters I should follow?

Rb

King of all Hills

Connecticut

Moves
20 Feb 09

Congratulations, I hope to be there some day soon 🙂

Moves
21 Feb 09

Sure, no problem, well first, I just need to say that I've just recently (7-8 months) started playing chess more seriously. One of the major things that improved my game a lot was my chess coach, (2300 FIDE), I take group lessons every week with players around 1500+ (granted, I'm probably not that good.) Another major thing that has helped a whole lot i ...[text shortened]... him, is supposed to help your play greatly with the amount of tactical play and such.

Rb
Thanks.

Not sure if I'll play the KG though.

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
21 Feb 09

No specific chessmasters,each one has the chess education and experience necessary to play better than most other players. A small selection of personal choice chess masters[recommend no more than three or four]and between them they will provide more than enough chess games to increase almost anybodies chess playing abilities quite dramatically,if their games are played through thoroughly and carefully as many times as required, in order to fully understand the reasoning behind the moves.---------😉

Moves
21 Feb 09

Ya I'm confused now...thanks.

R
The Rams

Moves
21 Feb 09

Originally posted by RECUVIC
Where can I find these games?

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
21 Feb 09

chessbase.com for master games-------------😀

t

Moves
13 May 09

Just so everyone knows.... He is in MY clan. If anyone wants to be in a clan with a hard worker and dedicated chess plan they should join up.