womens world cup,

womens world cup,

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
16 Nov 12
3 edits

gentle reader take a moment to ponder the position, evaluate. White to move, what
would you play?

Zhukova v Koneru

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
16 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
gentle reader take a moment to ponder the position, evaluate. White to move, what
would you play?

Zhukova v Koneru
[fen]2bqr1k1/5rn1/n2p1bp1/pNpPpp1p/P1P1P3/5PP1/2QBBN1P/3R1RK1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

[pgn][Event "FIDE WCh Women World Cup"] [Site "Khanty-Mansiysk RUS"] [Date "2012.11.15"] [Round "2.2"] [White "Zhukova, Natalia"] [Black "Koneru, Hump 40.Rg8+ Ke7 41.R3g7+ Kd6 42.Rxa7 Be4+ 43.Rg2 1-0[/pgn]
Bxa5 obviously.

P.S. I was right!

Moves
16 Nov 12

Wow, that comes out of nowhere.

rc

Moves
16 Nov 12

Originally posted by HikaruShindo
this is some tournament, three of the very top seeds gone already!

rc

Moves
16 Nov 12

thats what i thought when i first looked at it, but in retrospect its seems perfectly obvious, the deflection of the queen, the position of the two rooks.

Moves
17 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Bxa5 obviously.

P.S. I was right!
But why would you play such a move? The exchange is bishop and knight for rook and two pawns. Genrally speaking this is considered equal. Looking at this OTB why would one choose this line over another? What are the other factors that one should consider in the position?
Bxa5 - I'm not even sure that is the best move. Sure it may be cute and worthy of analysis - but in general I like the two pieces instead of the Rook and two pawns...psychologically speaking of course :>😉

Moves
17 Nov 12

I think you forget the monster passer on d6?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Nov 12

Originally posted by kbear1k
But why would you play such a move? The exchange is bishop and knight for rook and two pawns. Genrally speaking this is considered equal. Looking at this OTB why would one choose this line over another? What are the other factors that one should consider in the position?
Bxa5 - I'm not even sure that is the best move. Sure it may be cute and worthy of analy ...[text shortened]... like the two pieces instead of the Rook and two pawns...psychologically speaking of course :>😉
Correct! Psychology does play a part in my playing such a move. Perhaps psychology also played a part in this woman playing that move as well. The position is put up for one to find the move. In such a situation, I look for a tactical shot and I only see one and so I play it. Simple as that.

rc

Moves
17 Nov 12

I think you forget the monster passer on d6?
yes, its positionally sound! thats what i was thinking as well 😀

rc

Moves
17 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Correct! Psychology does play a part in my playing such a move. Perhaps psychology also played a part in this woman playing that move as well. The position is put up for one to find the move. In such a situation, I look for a tactical shot and I only see one and so I play it. Simple as that.
oh plueeeeeze, spout this psychological jive talk elsewhere, you are a fan of Fischer, 'I
am not interested in psychology, i am interested in good moves'.

Moves
17 Nov 12

Diagram below is the Position before 27..gxf5.
how about the playable, & the fighting move 27..Bf5??