Why the auto draw?

Why the auto draw?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

brc

Moves
15 Mar 07

game3214664
I had a clear win and i was just slaghtering pawns for fun when it said the game was a draw. why? i didnt click draw i had him beat
its frusteraing

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
15 Mar 07
4 edits

Originally posted by bishops r cool
game3214664
I had a clear win and i was just slaghtering pawns for fun when it said the game was a draw. why? i didnt click draw i had him beat
its frusteraing
Stalemate.

White couldn't move anywhere.

With lots of pieces you have to be careful about stalemate. Always make sure he can make a move before you come in for the kill slowly.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
15 Mar 07

STALEMATE ... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahhahahaahahahaha ok that made my day. Thankyou, you just turned an average, very slow paced day into a humorous one.

N

The sky

Moves
15 Mar 07

game3214664
its frusteraing
Game 3214664

Your opponent was not in check, but didn't have any legal move. That makes it a draw. This type of draw is called stalemate.

brc

Moves
15 Mar 07
1 edit

if he cant move doesnt that mean i win?

i need all the wins i can get

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
15 Mar 07
1 edit

No.

If you don't checkmate him and he has no moves, it's a draw - stalemate.

He got rid of his last pawn clevery and then his kings had no move, after you moved.

Check the rules of chess.

z

Moves
15 Mar 07

As a suggestion, you should take the 10 minutes required to read the rules of chess. If you're not familiar with Stalemate, chances are you are not familiar with En Passant either and possibly the rules regarding castling through check.

brc

Moves
15 Mar 07
2 edits

I may not be a chess freak and i havent read the 2000 page chess book written in 1150 a.d in language i cant read but i do know a little and have a ranking of 1380.

If he cant move he should lose. I was better than he but we drawed on a silly rule. I WANTED TO WIN!!!!!! ...sigh...😞:'(

edit: yes, i do know what castling is

The Seer of Seers

Jackson, NJ

Moves
15 Mar 07

Black move 57 should have been Qf2g1. Why prolong the game? Take a mate as soon as it is available. Even I know this and I am dumb.

h

Moves
15 Mar 07
1 edit

Double post

h

Moves
15 Mar 07
1 edit

57 Qg1 would have been mate and he wouldn't have had the chance. But at least you had fun slaughtering pawns. 🙂

z

Moves
15 Mar 07

I may not be a chess freak and i havent read the 2000 page chess book written in 1150 a.d in language i cant read but i do know a little and have a ranking of 1380.

If he cant move he should lose. I was better than he but we drawed on a silly rule. I WANTED TO WIN!!!!!! ...sigh...😞:'(

1. Chess rules have changed since 1150 AD...
2. As I said before, 10 minutes, just peruse the FAQ.
3. "If he cant move he should lose." no, read the rules.

U

Moves
15 Mar 07

A provisional ranking is quite different than a post-provisional ranking. Your rating will fluctuate wildly until it evens out at about 30 games or so.

Moves
15 Mar 07

If you don't know the chess rules then why play? You're just setting yourself up for failure.

A

Moves
15 Mar 07

These issues seem to keep rising from the muck. Your opponent got the better of you. He swindled you out of a win. Once you reach an understanding of all the nuances of the game, you'll appreciate it. Perhaps you should take notes and prepare to use Stalemate to your advantage in the future.

As far as, "He can't move, he should lose," you aren't checking his his King, and since the only available piece to move is the King (and he has no squares that he can move it to) it's a stalemate.