Why must I lose to this idiot?!

Why must I lose to this idiot?!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

d

Moves
01 Nov 07

How many of you have thought this or worse?!
At least I have never jumped on a table and yelled it like Nimzowitch
did! I must confess though, that I almost got in a fist fight playing
5 minute chess!🙂

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
01 Nov 07

There are 2 ways I lose:

1) My opponent outplays me. He beats me in position or tactics or both. I play a good game, but he plays a better one. There is no "idiot" here on either side of the board.

2) I drop a pawn, blow a piece, flub my attack, or mess up my defense and lose. Then the only idiot is looking back at me from the mirror.

Ergo, my opponent (before, during or after a game) is never an idiot.

M

Earth

Moves
01 Nov 07

Originally posted by MontyMoose
There are 2 ways I lose:

1) My opponent outplays me. He beats me in position or tactics or both. I play a good game, but he plays a better one. There is no "idiot" here on either side of the board.

2) I drop a pawn, blow a piece, flub my attack, or mess up my defense and lose. Then the only idiot is looking back at me from the mirror.

A very articulate MontyMoose you are

STS

Moves
01 Nov 07

Aaron Nimzowitch said that as he stormed out of a tournament hall

t

Moves
01 Nov 07

Originally posted by Sam The Sham
Aaron Nimzowitch said that as he stormed out of a tournament hall
No he didn't.

STS

Moves
02 Nov 07

Originally posted by tomtom232
No he didn't.
Yes, he did. Countless references to it, here's one.

http://www.jimvoelker.com/ratings.html

STS

Moves
02 Nov 07

And another:

"There are numerous entertaining anecdotes regarding Nimzowitch—some more savory than others. For example, he once missed the first prize of a great rapid transit tournament in Berlin by losing to Sämisch; immediately upon learning this, Nimzowitsch got up on a table and shouted, “Why must I lose to this idiot?” Nimzowitsch had lengthy and somewhat bitter dogmatic conflicts with Tarrasch over whose ideas constituted 'proper' chess."

r

Tony, kiss mine!

Moves
02 Nov 07

Originally posted by davidgrayson
5 minute chess!🙂
I've thought it all (approximately) 6 times I've lost to Matt.
😉

t

Moves
02 Nov 07

He jumped up on a table and shouted it not while storming out(he was way to ecentric to say it while storming out plus it wouldn't have gotten as much attention). One time he did break his leg while playing a game of chess in a tournament.

STS

Moves
02 Nov 07
2 edits

He jumped up on a table and shouted it not while storming out(he was way to ecentric to say it while storming out plus it wouldn't have gotten as much attention). One time he did break his leg while playing a game of chess in a tournament.
What a picky little bizarre thing to make a fuss over and quibble about, I am sooooooo sorry, he was jumping on a table, not storming out. Your initial response implied that he didn't say it at all, not that you disagreed with the exact circumstances. You need help.

f

Atlanta

Moves
02 Nov 07

A distinction without a difference, since even if we accept your petty caveat as sincere, I am sure he didn't leave the hall in a good mood. He almost cetrainly stormed out of the hall after his table tirade. It is you who assume that one followed the other immediately.

d

Moves
02 Nov 07

Originally posted by fluffymop
A distinction without a difference, since even if we accept your petty caveat as sincere, I am sure he didn't leave the hall in a good mood. He almost cetrainly stormed out of the hall after his table tirade. It is you who assume that one followed the other immediately.
Hey you guys, this was supposed to be funny! 😀

g

Moves
02 Nov 07

5 minute chess!🙂
I have said something like it. I have also said something like how can a 900 point rated player play that well? Or maybe I am going to lose to this 900 point player. How is he playing moves like that?

D
Rusty Veteran

My happy place

Moves
02 Nov 07
1 edit

There are 2 ways I lose:

That's me all over. They either just have a better strategy than me, or I do something I know I shouldn't have after I hit "submit".

STS

Moves
02 Nov 07

Hey you guys, this was supposed to be funny! 😀
Well, he was being a jerk.