Why bother with the Nimzo?

Why bother with the Nimzo?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
15 May 07

I know a lot of Nimzo players also play the QID after Nf3. Some of them even like the QID more. So, I don't really see the problem with 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 b6 3. Nc3 (Nf3 transposes) Bb7 Although, almost no one plays this, so I'm sure there's some problem.

i

Moves
15 May 07

im not sure, but wikipedia has some great info

HM

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
16 May 07
1 edit

4. e4 is the reason no one plays it.

e

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by Heroic Metool
Well, I don't see how that would work. Can't black just capture e4?

a

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by jvanhine
im not sure, but wikipedia has some great info
Does anyone know who writes those detailed wikipedia articles on openings? They give references at the end; are they paraphrasing, quoting or making stuff up? It'd be funny to see those authors revealed as a 1400 bum like myself.

Like the tennis racquet salesman in Seinfeld 😉

e

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by allostery
Does anyone know who writes those detailed wikipedia articles on openings? They give references at the end; are they paraphrasing, quoting or making stuff up? It'd be funny to see those authors revealed as a 1400 bum like myself.

Like the tennis racquet salesman in Seinfeld 😉
Anyone can contribute to Wikipedia. Thus, it can be a 1400 or a 2400 for all we know.

g

Kalamazoo, MI

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by Heroic Metool
?

HM

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
16 May 07

Wait, you're doing it without e6? Nevermind then, I'm stupid. >_>

g

Kalamazoo, MI

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by exigentsky
I know a lot of Nimzo players also play the QID after Nf3. Some of them even like the QID more. So, I don't really see the problem with 1. d4 Nf6 2. c4 b6 3. Nc3 (Nf3 transposes) Bb7 Although, almost no one plays this, so I'm sure there's some problem.
Because you are committing to a queenside fianchetto BEFORE white plays Nf3. This is actually called the Queen's Fiancheto defense . I prefer the normal continuation as it allows Bb4.

e

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by giantrobot
Because you are committing to a queenside fianchetto BEFORE white plays Nf3. This is actually called the Queen's Fiancheto defense . I prefer the normal continuation as it allows Bb4.
OK, sure, if you want to have the chance to play the Nimzo, this doesn't work. However, if you want to avoid theory and just get a good position, what is wrong with this? It feels suspicious, but I can't put my finger on it.

c

Moves
16 May 07

OK, sure, if you want to have the chance to play the Nimzo, this doesn't work. However, if you want to avoid theory and just get a good position, what is wrong with this? It feels suspicious, but I can't put my finger on it.
It's playable, for sure, it'd probably just transpose to a hippo or something. Of course, black gives up the center and has virtually no control since he hasn't played e6 or d6.

e

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by cmsMaster
It's playable, for sure, it'd probably just transpose to a hippo or something. Of course, black gives up the center and has virtually no control since he hasn't played e6 or d6.
Can you elaborate on how Black gives up the center? Why can't he play e6 later?

Moves
16 May 07
1 edit

3...Bb7 looks a bit unflexible as black often put the bishop on a6 in many lines of the QID

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
16 May 07

because qid is boring....i stick with the nimzo or bogo indian..almost the same ideas

V

Moves
16 May 07

Originally posted by bikingviking
3...Bb7 looks a bit unflexible as black often put the bishop on a6 in many lines of the QID
I agree.

The dilema of many openings is that to play them best from an objective point-of-view means maintaining flexibility where possible. i.e. we can best meet our opponent's options if we keep our own options open.

However, from a practical point-of-view, this may involve learning more theory; understanding a wider variety of typical middlegames; etc.

So, it may depend on how you balance playing objectively versus being practical/economic.