What's the Deal re: Tournaments?

What's the Deal re: Tournaments?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

S
Done Asking

Washington, D.C.

Moves
08 Jul 08

Pardon the noobish question, but can anyone sketch out briefly what all these tournament names mean?

what's the deal and where do I look it up on this site?

p

Moves
08 Jul 08
1 edit

ahh a newish subscriber, welcome!
Tournaments are a blast and you'll get good competition and not have to worry about finding people to play. The system will set up everything for you. For tournaments click the Tournaments icon above
OR
go to "My Home" on the menu then "My Home" again.
It'll show you all the tournaments you can join on your home page (at times there are many to join other times you don't have any available).
OR
just try this direct link.
http://www.redhotpawn.com/tournament/index.php

go to the ones that are "open to new entrants"

MAKE SURE you read the tournament rules properly especially since each tournament is different. Be aware of how the tournament is set up and how many new games will pop up when you start a tournament. IE: you could get anywhere from 2 new games to say 40 games starting immediately (YIKES!!).

There's tournaments where they stick you in groups of 2, 3 or 4, or more,... Some tournaments are for players of a specific rating group. (ie: 1500-1650 players only)

Also you must have a certain amount of games finished before you can play.

Now get to playing

t

Moves
08 Jul 08

psst... pijun, he means whats the significance of the names.

Thematics are obvious, but what about:
Long haul
Rapid Fire
Grand Split
Octet (number of entrants)

Etc. I think those are the terms he is asking about.

i

Moves
08 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Scriabin
Pardon the noobish question, but can anyone sketch out briefly what all these tournament names mean?

what's the deal and where do I look it up on this site?
first off i would like to invite you to tourneys that i make.. theres a lot of different types, now on to the definitions.

split- there are 2 equal groups, with the winner(s) of each side meeting in a final round (or more if needed)

octet- one large group of 8 players. youll get 14 games. a good score in the 31/33 range usually will win.

rapid- this is going to have a shorter time, they seem to vary.

banded-this means you have to qualify in a certain rating range. the higher rating ones take the longest to fill.

long haul- these have very long timelimits and will take years to complete.

duel- each round is a 1on1. if the 2 players tie both advance.

F

Moves
08 Jul 08

Originally posted by pijun
ahh a newish subscriber, welcome!
Newish? I thought he was Jewish...

i

Moves
10 Jul 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Newish? I thought he was Jewish...
notice how that killed the thread instantly 😛