1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 00:46
    hi while reading a post i came across this term, engine use and sandbagging, please explain the latter, not that it is important, but its good to know, regards robbie.
  2. Standard memberchessiswar
    Grandpatzer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 01:01
    Sandbagging is losing games on purpose to get your rating down.

Then playing people or entering a tournament where you know you are stronger than your opponents.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 01:21
    whats the point in that, its just some kind of ego trip, not to mention a waste of time, i take it people actively engage in this type of behavior. it makes you wonder sometimes.
  4. Standard memberchessiswar
    Grandpatzer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 02:101 edit
    People do it in real tournaments to win money.(They lose games untill they get a low rating then enter a money tournament to clean house)

Or look at some strong players here at RHP....they have tournament wins like..."2005 unlimited 1400-1600"

Meanwhile they haven't been that low in rating in 20 years.

Go look at some strong players 1800+

If they have tournament victories some will be from tournaments rated way below them.
  5. Standard memberchessiswar
    Grandpatzer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 02:15
    Of course they will tell you different.
  6. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 02:16
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    whats the point in that, its just some kind of ego trip, not to mention a waste of time, i take it people actively engage in this type of behavior. it makes you wonder sometimes.
    Some players are just sad.

For some obvious examples check out Thread 105962
  7. Standard memberchessiswar
    Grandpatzer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 02:24
    At Gameknot.com if you're in a tournament and your rating moves too much either way you are removed from the tournament.

Most tournaments here take time....so in time the sandbaggers rating goes back up....eliminating him from the lower tournaments.

Just an idea...
  8. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 02:35
    Originally posted by chessiswar
    At Gameknot.com if you're in a tournament and your rating moves too much either way you are removed from the tournament.

Most tournaments here take time....so in time the sandbaggers rating goes back up....eliminating him from the lower tournaments.

Just an idea...
    Doesn't make it fair on those who are eliminated by the person who advances and is then eliminated due to their ratings increase.

Also what about some one who temporarily exceeds the banding limit due a run of wins?
  9. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 03:24
    Doesn’t the “Tournament entry rating” of a player make sandbagging impossible on this site? It never falls below 100 points from the personal best(last 100 days).
  10. Standard memberchessiswar
    Grandpatzer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 03:25
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Doesn't make it fair on those who are eliminated by the person who advances and is then eliminated due to their ratings increase.

Also what about some one who temporarily exceeds the banding limit due a run of wins?
    The "kicked out of tournament" level is plus/minus 200 rating points.

That's some winning streak.
  11. Standard memberAlzheimer
    A brain like a sieve
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 11:50
    Originally posted by peacedog
    Doesn’t the “Tournament entry rating” of a player make sandbagging impossible on this site? It never falls below 100 points from the personal best(last 100 days).
    I have to say that there some OTB players in Germany who do that kind of thing and enter rapid tournaments to win "easy" money.

In OTB chess sometime when you enter a tournament there is a clause which says: Unrated players can't win the top prize, which prevents strong foreign players, with no Elo-rating to enter the tournament and win the top prize.

Some people are on Ego-trips and you will always have people like that. 😕
  12. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 13:47
    Originally posted by chessiswar
    The "kicked out of tournament" level is plus/minus 200 rating points.

That's some winning streak.
    Not really, I have seen my rating rise and fall by 200 points in less than 16 days on several occasions.
  13. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 14:09
    Originally posted by peacedog
    That is the idea. However, have a look at my profile for a different view. I have been as high as 2100ish but my tournament entry rating is currently 1416. All a determined sandbagger needs is patience. If he is willing to wait 100 days he will be able to enter tournaments at a much lower rating than he should.
  14. Standard memberchessiswar
    Grandpatzer
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 14:32
    Sandbagger!

Sand is surprisingly cheap.
  15. Joined
    23 May '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '09 18:39
    Sandbagging... is that like teabagging?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree