What is gameknot

What is gameknot

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Frostbyte Falls

Moves
09 Jan 07

Boy that slow pawn looks realy good.😵

g

Moves
09 Jan 07

Originally posted by Ian68
I played at Gameknot for a short while before coming here.

My intention was to play a few games for free and then subscribe if I enjoyed it. Within less than a week I received a message from the site administrator, it said something along the lines of:

Your security software is blocking our adverts. You have two choices:
1. Turn off your security softwa ...[text shortened]... manding, given how soon it arrived, so I chose option 3 - Leave.

Great customer service guys.
I believe Russ has stated that you are not allowed to block adds as well. Red Hot Pawn will ban players that block the site's adds? You must have better security then I have.

d

1. e4!!

Moves
09 Jan 07

I play at both. One thing I like about GK that you don't have here is legal moves when analyzing games. Also I can make variation and save it by selecting the moves and pasting them in a note to myself. Sometimes I think of this 4 or 5 move sequence then forget about it after the first move. I come back and think "WHAT THE PISS WAS I THINKING?!" I like how this site lets you download the pgn without telling you to subscribe. I also like how us common folk who aren't subs can speak with others on the forums. Of course me being cheap would like it to be free, RHP will get my sub when the time comes.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
10 Jan 07
1 edit

Hm, I started to play on that site today, after I wrote this thread. That site has some interesting features, but for me it can't be compared with RHP, this site is so more user-friendly and enjoying to play. Forums also can't be compared, and this site is more intuitive and easier to navigate. It also looks better organized.. (Nice analogy: RHP is like Chessmaster, and GK is more confusing for poor chess souls as myself, it's Fritz-like ;-) )

Subjective opinion, though...

W
Angler

River City

Moves
10 Jan 07

Originally posted by ivan2908
(Nice analogy: RHP is like Chessmaster, and GK is more confusing for poor chess souls as myself, it's Fritz-like ;-) )

Subjective opinion, though...
Chessmaster is a pain to navigate through despite some eighteen years using the software. Fritz has a much more sensible interface.

Now that you mention it, GK is a lot like Chessmaster in its design--even to the annoying dark blue background.

g

Moves
10 Jan 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Chessmaster is a pain to navigate through despite some eighteen years using the software. Fritz has a much more sensible interface.

Now that you mention it, GK is a lot like Chessmaster in its design--even to the annoying dark blue background.
Dark blue? It looks like it is black to me. Are you talking about Gameknot or ChessMaster as dark blue?

I

Moves
10 Jan 07

Originally posted by gambit3
I believe Russ has stated that you are not allowed to block adds as well. Red Hot Pawn will ban players that block the site's adds? You must have better security then I have.
Russ has said that ad blockers are a problem here, but at the time I joined there was no crackdown. If I play free games at a site then start more when they finish, then fair enough - send a message. But to get one when my games were barely out the opening, that was too much.

Canada

Moves
10 Jan 07

Hmmm...I believe the only thing that really sets Gameknot apart is the fact you can create your own tourney (thematics and time controls in all), but they hold one large tourney on a semi-regular basis for all of gameknot, therefore kinda rather boring, you never know whats going to pop up here (RHP).... when you create a tourney it has a limit number of players (GK), while here, you can have championship, duels, grand splits and of course all vs all 30 player...those features make RHP better i believe.

J
Trainee Party Animal

Moves
10 Jan 07

You're right ItsYouThatIAdore, but there are pros and cons with everything. RHP is more configurable as in tournament format but unless they have changed it, its not configurable by you. i.e. if you really want a grob thematic, you have to request it.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
10 Jan 07

Originally posted by gambit3
Dark blue? It looks like it is black to me. Are you talking about Gameknot or ChessMaster as dark blue?
They both are dark blue on my screen.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
10 Jan 07

Originally posted by ItsYouThatIAdore
Hmmm...I believe the only thing that really sets Gameknot apart is the fact you can create your own tourney (thematics and time controls in all), but they hold one large tourney on a semi-regular basis for all of gameknot, therefore kinda rather boring, you never know whats going to pop up here (RHP).... when you create a tourney it has a limit numb ...[text shortened]... els, grand splits and of course all vs all 30 player...those features make RHP better i believe.
You cannot discuss RHP on GK's forums.

T

Moves
10 Jan 07

Originally posted by ivan2908
What is gameknot? Is it good? How is it compared to rhp?
'How does it compare to rhp?"

Lets see. I have nearly 200 active games right now, and I have my sights on 300.

At gameknot where I cannot even play 300 games, 200 is the max I believe, it would cost me $99.99 a year for those same 200 games. Here it cost me $29.00.

Their forums are terrible.

I'm glad I discovered rhp before I stumbled upon gameknot.

J
Trainee Party Animal

Moves
10 Jan 07

RHP is top class for freedom of speech. I guess the owners here have a more liberal attitude. Guarunteed half the threads here would be removed on GK.

Regarding game limits. Yes RHP wins hands down there too for the hyperactive chessplayer. Anything below 50 games at a time though and it is comparable.

g

Moves
11 Jan 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
They both are dark blue on my screen.
I do not know about ChessMaster 10(?) but Gameknot is black on my computer monitor. Red hot pawn is white on my computer monitor.

d

1. e4!!

Moves
11 Jan 07

HTML color is 333344 which is blue. 🙂