What is a

What is a "rook"?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
10 Nov 12

It strikes me that the design of the rook is consistent with its use in castling. The design features a 'crenellated battlement' or in other words, the 'teeth' at the top of the rook is consistent with the design of battlements. It doesn't take a great stretch of imagination to realise that these fortified towers are built on the corners of battlements, thus the appearance of the Rook in chess is designed to give the impression that a castle has been built once a player castles. I think the inconsistency between the true meaning of 'rook' and the design of the 'castle' is something that just demonstrates the transient meaning of words over time. While there is undoubtedly an origin to this name, i'm not entirely sure that the name given to the piece would accurately reflect it's current use (was castling even a rule/move when the piece was given it's name?)

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
10 Nov 12

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
This is a table of names by language that may assist..

http://www.eudesign.com/chessops/basics/cpr-lang.htm
The Russian is interesting
rook is a boat
bishop is an elephant

I remember playing 4-sided chess and afterwards researched it
(before the internet!!) and the rooks were elephants and the
bishops boats. (The opposite of the Russian naming).

Apparently in the ancient game the bishops (boats) could only
travel on water squares. (???)

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
10 Nov 12

Originally posted by wolfgang59
rook is a boat
bishop is an elephant

I remember playing 4-sided chess and afterwards researched it
(before the internet!!) and the rooks were elephants and the
bishops boats. (The opposite of the Russian naming).

Apparently in the ancient game the bishops (boats) could only
travel on water squares. (???)
I haven't heard this before, so it's news to me. I know there is a version with a river running through the middle, i forget the name but i think it's Chinese. 🙂

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
10 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by Bebop5
Just looked up "rukh"; actually a Persian term, meaning a mythological large bird that can carry great weights like elephants and such....
I remember seeing chess pieces where the rook was an elephant with a box like seat strapped to its back.

P.S. There used to be such things a war elephants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_elephant

rc

Moves
10 Nov 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I remember seeing chess pieces where the rook was an elephant with a box like seat strapped to its back.

P.S. There used to be such things a war elephants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_elephant
have you never played microsofts Age of empires? Persian war elephants were a
special unit, totally awesome but susceptible to pikemen.

Moves
10 Nov 12

In French, castles are 'tours' (towers), but the verb 'to castle' is 'roquer' - which seems similar to 'rook'. It's also customary to warn your opponent that the queen is under attack. So you'd say 'check to the King' for normal check, and 'check to the Lady' if the queen is in 'check'.

Very chivalrous bunch, the French.

T
Fast above

Slow Below

Moves
10 Nov 12
2 edits

Originally posted by vivify
Oh, so "elephants" or "chariots" is indeed the original meaning, then. So why then, is a rook represented with a crown, rather than wheels for the chariot, or with an elepphant head?

This reminds me; I used to play a game called "Battle Chess" for Nintendo, where you see an actual battle between two pieces, when one is captured. The rooks were represen s a tad more sense, since I once thought a rook was a prince, represesnted with a crown.
OMG I loved that game. When the rook took the Queen he ate her!

When a rook took a pawn the pawn looked at his spear and shrugged
the rook when 'hahaha' and smashed him into his own helmet.

Gold.

edit. This was the PC version before Nintendos were even invented. Please allow for miserlyness.

rain

Moves
10 Nov 12

Originally posted by aquatabby
In French, castles are 'tours' (towers), but the verb 'to castle' is 'roquer' - which seems similar to 'rook'. It's also customary to warn your opponent that the queen is under attack. So you'd say 'check to the King' for normal check, and 'check to the Lady' if the queen is in 'check'.

Very chivalrous bunch, the French.
I think you may have just solved this mystery. Thanks so much, you rock.

V
Heartlander

Airyana-Vaeja

Moves
17 Nov 12
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
rook is a boat
bishop is an elephant
The Russian LADYA (rook) (ancient LODYA) is rather WAR SHIP, not BOAT. The name appeared because Russians had no chariots but they were (and are) strong river- and sea-farers instead.

By the way, the LADYA is the only original rook name in Slavic languages - the others are the word "TOWER" in respective languges.

The Russian SLON (bishop) is exactly ELEPHANT, the copy of original Indian chess piece. There is also colloquial name OFITSER (military officer).

The Russian FERZ (queen) is a mutated Persian word FIRZAN (from arabian VIZIR) - Chancellor, Minister.

The Russian KON' is simply HORSE (only male horse).

Other pieces are common: KOROL' (king), PIESHKA (pawn, namely "piece walking by feet" )