Moves
    20 Nov '07 06:112 edits
    Originally posted by HFRorbis
    hello
    what do you think of this one ?
    http://www.chessmasterschool.com/?gclid=CNCn45qw_YsCFQHtlAodQloswA
    is it worth it ?
    You can master chess in one year!!!

WARNING: Whenever you hear or see this statement stop listening or close your eyes immediately

AVISO: Cuando quiera que usted oiga o ver este declaración pare oída o cerra su vista inmediatamente
  3. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 12:30
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    You can master chess in one year!!!

[b]WARNING:
    Whenever you hear or see this statement stop listening or close your eyes immediately

AVISO: Cuando quiera que usted oiga o ver este declaración pare oída o cerra su vista inmediatamente[/b]
    Do I detect a trace of cynicism here? You're just not a true believer. 😛

Besides, if you don't make master in a year, I'm sure they'd let you keep trying at $24 per month as long as you'd like. 😉
  4. Joined
    13 Feb '07
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 12:55
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    Do I detect a trace of cynicism here? You're just not a true believer. 😛

Besides, if you don't make master in a year, I'm sure they'd let you keep trying at $24 per month as long as you'd like. 😉
    Is it chess master or master chess?
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 13:15
    hello
    what do you think of this one ?
    http://www.chessmasterschool.com/?gclid=CNCn45qw_YsCFQHtlAodQloswA
    is it worth it ?
    From what they reveal of their curriculum, it appears well designed. However, it is not clear that you get any feedback--essential, it seems to me--at the $24 per month level. They only take a real interest in you at a much higher price.

They also need to hire a native English speaker to aid in their translation effort. The texts read as if they were translated into English by software.
  6. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 13:20
    Originally posted by Jake Ellison
    Is it chess master or master chess?
    I had the same thought. (Note - I mastered chess by learning the moves in less than a year!)

But seriously, although they make no guarantees, their goal is to make you a master (2200 to 2400) within a year. If you're starting at a rating considerably less than 2000, that seems very aggressive and extremely optimistic to me. If you're starting at a rating close to 2000, it still seems optimistic to me, but maybe it's possible if you work extremely hard. I wonder if they'd refuse to take money from a patzer like me, who can't even fathom what it's like to be anywhere near 2000. At any rate, that's more money than I'd be willing to pay on chess instruction under any conditions, so I didn't give their web site serious consideration.
  7. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 13:27
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    From what they reveal of their curriculum, it appears well designed. However, it is not clear that you get any feedback--essential, it seems to me--at the $24 per month level. They only take a real interest in you at a much higher price.

They also need to hire a native English speaker to aid in their translation effort. The texts read as if they were translated into English by software.
    Very good observations. I agree, without a LOT of feedback, you'd stand no chance at all of reaching your goal.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 17:24
    I checked some sample lessons for the first month and they look so "clever" in terms of money hunting.

what they do just seems to me the same as publishing a limited number of pages of a general chess book and sell them periodically.

"let's sell the first 30 pages of How to reasses your chess for the first month, and throw in a couple of tactics from Reinfeld and there's your chess mastery. next month 10 pages from my system will do it". bla, bla, bla.
  9. Standard memberIn A Word
    Mr. Hangs-A-Piece
    Waukee, Iowa
    Moves
    20 Nov '07 18:57
    Don't believe everyone has the ability to be a master. Chess, while not a physical sport, definitely has skills that must come naturally. 2000+ rating goal is pretty lofty for the average player.
  10. Joined
    05 Apr '06
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 15:52
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    I checked some sample lessons for the first month and they look so "clever" in terms of money hunting.

what they do just seems to me the same as publishing a limited number of pages of a general chess book and sell them periodically.

"let's sell the first 30 pages of How to reasses your chess for the first month, and throw in a couple of tactics fro ...[text shortened]... there's your chess mastery. next month 10 pages from my system will do it". bla, bla, bla.
    ok
    you convinced me !
    I won't take this online chess school instead I'll take some good books to improve
  11. London
    Moves
    24 Nov '07 17:321 edit
    ok
    you convinced me !
    I won't take this online chess school instead I'll take some good books to improve
    www.improveyourchess.com has many good features and you can buy one on one online coaching where you submit annotated games and the tutor (usually an IM) adds notes and returns them to you. Although the coaching isn't cheap when I did it for the recommended 3 months, submitting 3 games per month, I was really impressed with the standard. The site itself is not the coolest in terms of design but it's run by a committed GM and I reckon it's value for money. There are fresh tactics puzzles each month from real games and section a section on endgame training and so on. The forum is slow with only the odd post every now and again but it's very focussed and the GM who runs it, Tony Kosten, often posts replies etc. The only claim is that if you work through the material on the site your chess will improve.
  12. Joined
    05 Jan '10
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 02:231 edit
    for diskamyl:

I think you are too clever for this world..or not.
    First of all the school is for chess players with an ELO > 1800 and second it is endorsed by a GM that, of course, for you huge huge huge amount of 25 dollars will destroy his name because he's soooooo hungry.

I think your assessment is disgusting.
  13. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 02:48

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Standard memberrandolph
    the walrus
    an English garden
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 03:01
    Originally posted by xen0n
    for diskamyl:

First of all the school is for chess players with an ELO > 1800 and second it is endorsed by a GM that, of course, for you huge huge huge amount of 25 dollars will destroy his name because he's soooooo hungry.

Sick bump/first post/maybe not first post?
  15. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    06 Apr '10 03:22
    Originally posted by xen0n
    for diskamyl:

It's $408 for the year.

Thats over $1000 since the post before your one:-)

Hungry indeed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree