unsporting behavior

unsporting behavior

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MR

Moves
18 Oct 10

Originally posted by wolfgang59
I was always told to record my move before playing it - then take a moment to make sure you havent done something really stupid.

On one occassion my opponent did the exact opposite; he played his move then in the most beautiful calligraphy he recorded it. How dare he record moves in [b]my
time!

So after his next move I played the most obvious rep ...[text shortened]... giving him time to write.

I won.

Afterwards his only comment was "thats not chess"
😀[/b]
Fide Article 8.1 requires that the move be made first, then recorded. There is an exception for some draw claims and adjournments.

In the U.S., it's a bit more complicated. A few years back, USCF Rule 15A allowed either option. Then in 2006, they changed Rule 15A to require that the move be made first, then recorded (to bring the requirement in line with Fide rules).

This change proved to be very unpopular, probably due mostly to the fact that scholastic players had been and were still being taught to do exactly the opposite. My club openly refused to abide by the new rule change, and I suspect many other clubs did as well.

A short time later, the USCF reversed the ruling back to before 2006, with one change meant to deal with the new elctronic scoresheets. So now, there is a Rule 15A that requires that you first make the move, then record it on the scoresheet. But there is also a new Rule 15A Variation I (Paper Scoresheet Variation) that allows you to do it either way, if you are using a paper scoresheet.

So the bottom line for the USCF is that, if using an electronic scoresheet, you must make the move first (consistent with Fide rules), but if using a paper scoresheet, either way is acceptable.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Oct 10

Originally posted by Mad Rook
Fide Article 8.1 requires that the move be made first, then recorded. There is an exception for some draw claims and adjournments.

In the U.S., it's a bit more complicated. A few years back, USCF Rule 15A allowed either option. Then in 2006, they changed Rule 15A to require that the move be made first, then recorded (to bring the requirement in line with ...[text shortened]... first (consistent with Fide rules), but if using a paper scoresheet, either way is acceptable.
To me, it doesn't make any sense to record a move BEFORE you've made it on a SCORESHEET i.e. a paper where you keep track of moves made. The USCF was stupid to cave in to people who were teaching an improper and illogical technique.

MR

Moves
18 Oct 10

Originally posted by no1marauder
To me, it doesn't make any sense to record a move BEFORE you've made it on a SCORESHEET i.e. a paper where you keep track of moves made. The USCF was stupid to cave in to people who were teaching an improper and illogical technique.
I completely agree with you. I move first, then record. Having said that, if my opponent wants to do the opposite, and waste a little clock time in the bargain, I have no problem with that.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Oct 10

Originally posted by Mad Rook
I completely agree with you. I move first, then record. Having said that, if my opponent wants to do the opposite, and waste a little clock time in the bargain, I have no problem with that.
Well, it also contributes to unreadable scoresheets as players change their minds and cross out the written move. I don't say anything, but I admit I find it a bit annoying.

I'm also not a big fan of someone using a scorebook to write moves in during a game. In one tournament, I was playing a strong scholastic (Class A) and played my usual Budapest in response to his 1 d4. At about the 5th move, he started leafing through his book apparently looking for a prior Budapest game. I told him in no uncertain terms that he wasn't allowed to look at other games in his book and he stopped immediately. But I wonder what would have happened if I had left the board (as I often do during OTB).

t

Moves
18 Oct 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
afte reading that there seems to be certain tactics employed by OTB players which have little relevance to the actual moves, i wonder if there are any antidotes to these tactics. For example exagerated mannerisms

1. the piece slammer intent of screwing down his knight on d5 with a hilti gun
2. the face puller who casts a bemused smile and smirks ...[text shortened]... ed, for its this type of behaviour that puts one off from joining a club and enjoying OTB chess.
Have 'GM' in front of your name 😉

toet.

S

Moves
18 Oct 10

Is it a rule that you must record your moves? What if I don't want to record my moves in an otb tournament?

e4

Moves
18 Oct 10
1 edit

The write the move first then move habit came into fashion
after some lad suggested it as a way of avoiding one move blunders.

You chose your move, wrote it down, then scanned the board to make
sure it was not a blunder.

The lengths some people would go to hide their chosen move was very amusing.

rc

Moves
18 Oct 10

Well, it also contributes to unreadable scoresheets as players change their minds and cross out the written move. I don't say anything, but I admit I find it a bit annoying.

I'm also not a big fan of someone using a scorebook to write moves in during a game. In one tournament, I was playing a strong scholastic (Class A) and played my usual ...[text shortened]... ly. But I wonder what would have happened if I had left the board (as I often do during OTB).
i thought electronic devices of any description were illegal.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
18 Oct 10

I didn't say anything about "electronic devices".

MR

Moves
18 Oct 10

The Monroi device is allowed.

MR

Moves
18 Oct 10

Originally posted by SmittyTime
Is it a rule that you must record your moves? What if I don't want to record my moves in an otb tournament?
Yes, USCF Rule 15A requires that you record the game's moves, but there are a few exceptions: physical handicaps, religious reasons, or beginners who haven't learned to keep score (at the director's discretion).

I imagine if you simply refuse to keep score just because you don't feel like it, you could be forfeited.

S

Moves
18 Oct 10

Religous reasons?

e4

Moves
18 Oct 10
1 edit

I wonder what religious reason one could possibly have for not keeping
a scoresheet. Is there some lot who don't write words on their Sabbath?

I know writing down the moves in the margin of a Bible is not allowed
because you could be asking for divine help.

MR

Moves
18 Oct 10

Originally posted by SmittyTime
Religous reasons?
I'm pretty ignorant on the subject, but one example: Jewish law, not writing on the Sabbath. (I think)

rc

Moves
18 Oct 10

I didn't say anything about "electronic devices".
neither you did, my mistake