Trade tempo to set trap?

Trade tempo to set trap?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
18 May 19
1 edit

Recently I have started making a move offering a fork to get a person to make a bad move. Should I stop wasting moves to see if I can get a person to bite? Here is an example of what I mean

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
18 May 19

@eladar said
Recently I have started making a move offering a fork to get a person to make a bad move. Should I stop wasting moves to see if I can get a person to bite? Here is an example of what I mean

[pgn]1.d4 d5 2.c4 dxc4 3.e3 nf6 4.Bxc4 nc6 5.nf3 Bf5 6.Qa4 a6 7.ne5 b5 8.Bf7[/pgn]
Interesting idea, and this will sometimes work against weak players. Stronger players however will see through this little ploy and simply find stronger moves. My advise: try it against the fish, but the sharks will see through it and find ways to win.

E

Moves
18 May 19

@mchill

Yeah I figured the future for this kind of stuff is limited. Maybe someone has a better version of what I am trying and will share some secrets.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
18 May 19
1 edit

@eladar said
@mchill

Yeah I figured the future for this kind of stuff is limited. Maybe someone has a better version of what I am trying and will share some secrets.
Maybe someone has a better version of what I am trying and will share some secrets.

Years ago I asked the same question of WGM Elena Donaldson-Akhmilovskaya (one of my very few chess lessons) The advice she gave be can be summed up in item 7. I just wrote in the thread- Internet and chess software investigation. It might give you some ideas. 🙂

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
22 May 19

@Eladar

Elementary game theory, stemming from John Nash, states that your opponent will make the best move he can; never assume he will fall into a trap.

The best traps are those your opponent cannot refuse, because declining is worse. Study the games of Em. Lasker for examples.