Tournament Entry Rating (TER)

Tournament Entry Rating (TER)

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gone Fishing

England

Moves
14 Feb 21
1 edit

Can anyone clarify how this is calculated?

I understood it to be:

"Tournament Entry Rating is calculated by the formula (CurrentRating + HighestRating) / 2. The entry rating will never drop to more than 100 points below your Highest Rating"

However, when I check this, it seems to me that the 'highest rating' actually refers to 'highest rating in a year' as I see many examples where the TER doesn't reflect the 'highest ever rating' or I guess, '5-year rating'

When I do the claculation it always seems to give a TER based on (current+past year)/2

I use the TER a lot for clan challenges and always assumed it refered to 'highest ever rating'

thanks

Dave

S.Yorks.England

Moves
14 Feb 21

@maxtheminnow said
Can anyone clarify how this is calculated?

I understood it to be:

"Tournament Entry Rating is calculated by the formula (CurrentRating + HighestRating) / 2. The entry rating will never drop to more than 100 points below your Highest Rating"

However, when I check this, it seems to me that the 'highest rating' actually refers to 'highest rating in a year' as I see ...[text shortened]... e the TER a lot for clan challenges and always assumed it refered to 'highest ever rating'

thanks
You are correct.
My TER is exactly as you say current + year/2.
I've not looked, but I assume this is what it says in FAQ

Gone Fishing

England

Moves
14 Feb 21

@venda said
You are correct.
My TER is exactly as you say current + year/2.
I've not looked, but I assume this is what it says in FAQ
Thanks Dave

I didn't see it in the FAQ, but I could have missed it!

The definition I quoted comes straight from the bottom of every players profile ... which is why I was confused. I'll assume going forward highest rating does refer to highest rating over the past 12 months ...