Top Chess Gm Of All Time

Top Chess Gm Of All Time

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dsR

Big D

Moves
23 Dec 05

I think a lot of chess masters have been struck with lunacy: Morphy, Steinitz, Fischer, Zilberstein, etc. It probably comes from devoting your whole life to a game instead of working at a real career and taking care of your family.

K
Strawman

Not Kansas

Moves
23 Dec 05

Originally posted by leestatic
you got his email address?

Edit: The public after the match decided to call it a "world championship match". However there is little evidence to believe that Lasker would want to risk his world title on a short 10 game match. Thirty games were originally proposed, but this was reduced to 10 because of a lack of funds.
Your avatar gives me wood.

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
23 Dec 05

Originally posted by Santa Drummer
Are you any good?
Now wait just a minute😠 That's Bowmann's line!

B
Non-Subscriber

RHP IQ

Moves
23 Dec 05

Originally posted by TRAINS44
Now wait just a minute😠 That's Bowmann's line!
I've relinquished copyright on that one, Mr T.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
23 Dec 05

Originally posted by Jusuh
Paul Morphy wasnt a GM.
BAH! Yeah, I know. Morphy was a super grandmaster! All you have to do is look at his games, and you're a believer.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
23 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
I think a lot of chess masters have been struck with lunacy: Morphy, Steinitz, Fischer, Zilberstein, etc. It probably comes from devoting your whole life to a game instead of working at a real career and taking care of your family.
I'd say it comes from being obsessed with the game. Chess seems to draw in intelligent and gifted people because it's the one thing they spend their lives trying to figure out because chess is an infinite enigma. As a result, they never do figure it out, and I think it makes them go insane in that that they got caught up in a "FLOW" if you will. Before they know it, life passes them by while they're stranded at the 64 squares. Capablanca was a rarity.

t

girls imaginations

Moves
23 Dec 05

Originally posted by zakkwylder
Though its only a work of fiction, in the book Forrest Gump, Gump makes it to the final match of becoming chess champion. He would have won, but was disqualified for cutting a loud fart. I don't if something like this could/would ever happen, but its an interesting part of that story.
forrest gump never played chess. he couldnt even read. not in the movie anyways. and, believe it or not rainman is a based on a real person. there was a thing on the discovery channel about him and a few other sevants. sevants are people whose intelligence is lacking in some parts but other parts excels way beyond capabilities of the human mind. for instance there was one guy on their who still couldnt talk at the age of 35, but by the age of 3 was drawing pictures that was winning competitions and by the age of 7 was painting stuff the discovery channel said is hanging in "world renowned" museums.

t

girls imaginations

Moves
23 Dec 05

I think a lot of chess masters have been struck with lunacy.
what does lunacy mean?

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
23 Dec 05

Originally posted by Bowmann
I've relinquished copyright on that one, Mr T.
🙁

SN
Pimp of the elves

San Diego, CA

Moves
23 Dec 05

Originally posted by trallphaz
what does lunacy mean?
Craziness.

As in lunatic.

a

Moves
27 Dec 05

Originally posted by Will Everitt
It depends although in rain man it was simply maths + memory but chess is far more complex then that. I guess you could have but has anyone ever got really good at chess from playing it and nothing else? no reading about it, no studying past games.

It also depends on your definition of mentally handicapped as you could see someone who has very poor ...[text shortened]... m you may well think they are mentally handicapped.

" Gotta get my boxer shorts at K-Mart."
capablanca's wife admited her husband not only not studied chess, but didn't even own a chessboard ...... so i guess capa ;-)

g

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by acubed123
capablanca's wife admited her husband not only not studied chess, but didn't even own a chessboard ...... so i guess capa ;-)
Capablanca did not study. Alekhine did study. Guess who won.

Y
Renaissance

OnceInALifetime

Moves
29 Dec 05

Originally posted by gambit3
Capablanca did not study. Alekhine did study. Guess who won.
Capablanca.

9 games to 7 with 31 draws.

According to:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.[WORD TOO LONG]

b

Moves
29 Dec 05

it's amazing how small the difference between lunacy and genius is sometimes

T
Full speed locomotiv

On tracks.

Moves
29 Dec 05

Alekhine, Fischer or Kasparov.
Trains44