1. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 21:49
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    well sometimes, if you recapture you will lose even more material... it depends completley on the position, but recapturing can sometimes weaken other squares which can then be occupied, called a decoy tactic
    I didn't know that! Thanks.
  2. EDMONTON ALBERTA
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 21:59
    Originally posted by masscat
    I didn't know that! Thanks.
    no problem, I was reading about it last night in my winning chess tactics book... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoy_(chess) there is a good example of a decoy!
  3. THORNINYOURSIDE
    Moves
    25 Jul '07 22:38
    Originally posted by Evey Hammond
    Whenever an opponent takes one of my pieces, I feel compelled to capture one of their own. But I'm certainly finding out it's not always the best move.
    Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war.

🙂
  4. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 01:42
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    just violently sacrifice everything. Tal had it goin for him 😀
    Violenty sacrifice everything...I like that.

Hey, how are you? Please send me a message. 🙂

Evey
  5. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 01:43
    Originally posted by adramforall
    Sometimes you have to lose the battle to win the war.

🙂
    Such a great point, and something I need to keep in mind at all times. One of my main faults in chess is attacking much too prematurely.
  6. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 01:59
    Originally posted by ChessJester
    well sometimes, if you recapture you will lose even more material... it depends completley on the position, but recapturing can sometimes weaken other squares which can then be occupied, called a decoy tactic
    Yes! The decoy tactic intrigues me greatly. I always played chess strictly for fun...but now I really want to learn more strategies. I feel overwhelmed by such things as the Dutch/Sicilian/French Defense, Rubinstein's tactics...etc. 🙂
  7. Joined
    11 Apr '07
    Moves
    26 Jul '07 02:00
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    True. Desperado sacrifices and Zwischenzugs can lay bare the best-laid plans.
    Yes, I know what you mean.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree