Tie Breaker Initiative

Tie Breaker Initiative

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Georgia, USA

Moves
06 Aug 12

I would like to propose the following change that would primarily affect tournament play.

Under current rhp practice, when two players split their games, they are either both advanced to the next level or given two more games against each other (depending on what stage the tournament is in). This is cumbersome and inconclusive - especially in the later stages of a tourney.

Instead of two new games, I propose one more game - a third game as a tie breaker. Whichever player got his/her victory (in the previous 2 games) in the fewest moves - is allowed to choose colors for Game 3.

What is the consensus view on this?
CC

d

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
06 Aug 12
4 edits

Making the number of moves in a game play such a huge factor would encourage players to drag out lost games until checkmate. Depending on the time controls, that could make tournaments last much longer than they do right now instead of speeding things up.

e4

Moves
06 Aug 12

The players would, as suggested, prolong their games.

If it must be decided on one game, then in the case of a tie break
the draw is random but Black has the draw odds.
(if the game is drawn then Black wins.)
I don't like it but it is an idea.

Georgia, USA

Moves
07 Aug 12

The ciriticism that it would draw out games is partially true. But only in the first two and only among the hyper competitive. Game 3 would not be drawn out and then the competition is concluded.

Much preferrable and quicker than playing the same opponent 4, 6, or 8 times.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
07 Aug 12

I suggest to discuss only in thread
Thread 147916

there have points been made.

Rob Hamer

England

Moves
29 Aug 12

Originally posted by CamelClutch
I would like to propose the following change that would primarily affect tournament play.

Under current rhp practice, when two players split their games, they are either both advanced to the next level or given two more games against each other (depending on what stage the tournament is in). This is cumbersome and inconclusive - especially in the late ...[text shortened]... ewest moves - is allowed to choose colors for Game 3.

What is the consensus view on this?
CC
well camel i think your on the right track ,but i would like to see one winner to the next round ,it may speed up the tournament ,

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Aug 12

Originally posted by CamelClutch
The ciriticism that it would draw out games is partially true. But only in the first two and only among the hyper competitive. Game 3 would not be drawn out and then the competition is concluded.

Much preferrable and quicker than playing the same opponent 4, 6, or 8 times.
Maybe it could be something like the World Championship match.