Street Fighter wins Brilliancy Prize

Street Fighter wins Brilliancy Prize

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
20 Apr 09

Originally posted by streetfighter
WHY I SACCED MY QUEEN in this game?

[/b]
You accidentally a whole Coca-Cola bottle before the game.

M

Moves
20 Apr 09

Anyway, there's a free copy of Streetfighting Chess up for grabs for whoever comes up with the best reason for WHY I SACCED MY QUEEN in this game?
A feisty chess player called Streetfighter
was attacking his foe a queen lighter.
Was it wisdom or wit
that he sacced his bit?
He won; he must have been right-a

and ....

Black, White, armies meet.
Queen falls like lotus blossom.
Still, Streetfighter wins.

Phil.

m

Moves
20 Apr 09
2 edits

Just noticed this post - thanks guys : )

This game featured in GM Jonathan Rowson's Sunday Herald column last Saturday up here in Scotland. We both missed lots of opportunities apparently, but I guess that's not so surprising in such an unusual position!?

Anyway, there's a free copy of Streetfighting Chess up for grabs for whoever comes up wi o get writing!

You can enter too Greenpawn, even though you've got a copy already : )
Probably because you've read The Art of Attack in Chess too many times.

s

Moves
20 Apr 09

Last chance saloon for anyone who hasn't already had a pop at this! I'll be choosing a winner in about 1 hour : )

e4

Moves
20 Apr 09

Please give them another 24 hours.

Some of the guys won't have seen till today at work,
They will think of something and post tomorrow.

Quite a few don't have net access at home.

Won't do any harm.

GP

s

Moves
20 Apr 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Please give them another 24 hours.

Some of the guys won't have seen till today at work,
They will think of something and post tomorrow.

Quite a few don't have net access at home.

Won't do any harm.

GP
OK, good point(s) GP. 7pm tomorrow it is then : )

o
Art is hard

Moves
20 Apr 09

you sacrificed the queen because you're sexist... it's a shame, it really is...

p

Moves
20 Apr 09

I know this is really deep but think about it.

You sacrificed your queen so that you could send me a free copy of your book !!!

It is really wonderful the way fate works out sometimes. 🙂

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
20 Apr 09
1 edit

You sacrificed your Queen because a fly landed on the Bf6 and you swatted it without thinking. Then, your opponent called "touch move!"

s

Moves
21 Apr 09

Well folks, thanks for all the witty (sometimes!) replies : )

It's tough to decide on a winner, but after much consideration (blahblahblah) I have decided to go with.....(drum roll).................. Mr Phil!!!

I've always been partial to a good limerick, and his haiku (?) was excellent too!

Runner-up - this lucky devil gets half-a-book for his efforts ; ) is Fat Lady! I have the feeling he/she knows me (or vice-versa?!) but if not he certainly knows my way of thinking. (Oh, and he/she does in fact get a full book after all!)

Honourable mentions go to SwissGambit (I would NEVER swat a fly-unless it was trying to eat me in the wild of course) and Orion25 (I'm not sexist, some of my best girlfriends have been women!)

If the lucky pair would kindly pm me an address or 2, shiny, signed copies of Streetfighting Chess will shortly be winging there way to you both : )

Thanks to all who took part in this little bit of fun - I'll post my real reasons for the queen sac a little later tonight hopefully.

All the best,
Andy Burnett

M

Moves
21 Apr 09

It's tough to decide on a winner, but after much consideration (blahblahblah) I have decided to go with.....(drum roll).................. Mr Phil!!!
That is super double awesome.
Thank you very much.
PM on its way with the details.

Phil.

s

Moves
22 Apr 09

Well, it seems like Fat Lady wants to remain anonymous!

So why did I sac my queen? Partly because (as a few of the early posts can confirm) I simply couldn't work out the consequences of Nxe6.

Every line I calculated semed to result in a different material balance. I'm a pawn up, no I'm the exchange down, hang on, I'm a piece up, oh no I'm not....you get the idea!

So, with a migraine starting to bang away at my head, and no chance of winning anything other than the Best Game prize, the queen sac (which I'd noticed a move or 2 earlier) started to look very enticing.

It was the 'simplest' option - with relatively few lines to calculate, I figured that either my positional compensation would be enough (the passed h-pawn and control of lots of sensitive squares) or Black would find a way to force me to repeat the position somehow. Either way it meant I wouldn't have to count pieces endlessly like the other variation!

Somewhat mundane i know - no 'fly-swatting' or 'maternal need for a new queen', not even someone calling me a 'bald w#####' (though the words may have popped into my opponent's head when I won the prize!)

Anyway, if Fat Lady doesn't want the book let me know and I'll send it to someone else : )

Cheers,
Andy Burnett

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
22 Apr 09
1 edit

Well, it seems like Fat Lady wants to remain anonymous!

So why did I sac my queen? Partly because (as a few of the early posts can confirm) I simply couldn't work out the consequences of Nxe6.

Every line I calculated semed to result in a different material balance. I'm a pawn up, no I'm the exchange down, hang on, I'm a piece up, oh no I'm not.. book let me know and I'll send it to someone else : )

Cheers,
Andy Burnett
I'd absolutely love a copy of the book 🙂
but more importantly, I'd absolutely love to READ the book!

-GIN

m

Moves
23 Apr 09

I'm nobody to comment on games but it looks like a psycological tactic. I would know. Anyone who has played me knows that I risk king and country trying to pull off something amazing. 😛

1...c5!

Your Kingside

Moves
23 Apr 09

Originally posted by morphywasthebest
I'm nobody to comment on games but it looks like a psycological tactic. I would know. Anyone who has played me knows that I risk king and country trying to pull off something amazing. 😛
I think you have the distinct honor to be the only person on this site to have never made any moves, yet still having managed to lose two games. Bravo! 😀