Sour Faces,Crankiness etc

Sour Faces,Crankiness etc

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

y

Moves
26 Oct 06

I've just decided I don't want to be a 2600 player..🙂

Cruising photos of the world's elite,especially the mugshots from Corus 2006,what a bunch of sourpusses..wazzup? Wouldn't you think
that if you were rated 2700+ you'd be grinning from ear to ear..Kamsky and Carlsen in particular look like they need a night on the town

To cap it all I just saw Sofia Polgar beating Korchnoi in blitz,what a crank-I expected better from someone of his stature.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
26 Oct 06

maybe she wore a low-cut shirt?

FL

over there

Moves
26 Oct 06

Well Korchnoi is gettin pretty old. He may not have the blitz abilities he used to. He is still one of the world's elite; he just takes more time to think.

Moves
26 Oct 06

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxeiGipoFSE

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by anthias
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TxeiGipoFSE
Wow, what a sore loser

Y

Moves
26 Oct 06

to be a 2600 player you would have to devote your whole life...to a board game... not the mention making it your career.

Sorry but, I plan to get a real job.

H

Moves
26 Oct 06

Originally posted by YUG0slav
to be a 2600 player you would have to devote your whole life...to a board game... not the mention making it your career.

I wonder if the 2600's players can make enough money only by playing chess and live from it
Except Kasparov, I doubt that they can earn their living as chess players

Y

Moves
26 Oct 06

with the prizes now It IS possible, though not recommended...

Fischer did it over 30 years ago...

O

Moves
27 Oct 06

with the prizes now It IS possible, though not recommended...

Fischer did it over 30 years ago...
Let's see, Topalov and Kramnik both made $500,000 for the recent match, the prizes at the supertournaments (Corus, Dortmund, Linares, MTel etc.) are nothing to sneeze at, and I believe the FIDE "World Cup" knockout event pays pretty well too. If you're in the top 20 or so, I'd imagine you're not struggling to get by. 🙂

On the other hand, it sucks for the avergae GM, I'd imagine.

a

cavanaugh park

Moves
27 Oct 06

i bet magnus carlsen feels the same way you do

G
ChessObsessed

Earth

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by ChessJester
Wow, what a sore loser
more like a sour-puss.

c

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by HFRorbis
I wonder if the 2600's players can make enough money only by playing chess and live from it
Except Kasparov, I doubt that they can earn their living as chess players
I think you get to earn a living long before you reach 2600. We're talking bout GM level here. There are only a couple of hundreds of them out of 3.5 billion people in the whole world. They become coaches and managers to aspirant young players; they write chess books and articles; they do commercials; and of course whenever they win tournaments they get money and fame. In fact, chess is a full-time work as far as these GMs are concerned.

T

Moves
27 Oct 06

Originally posted by ChessJester
maybe she wore a low-cut shirt?
Obviously!
There is no way a woman could beat a man because they played better is there?

you sexist moron

FL

over there

Moves
27 Oct 06

Well if you write a best-selling chess book it is possible to make a living off of chess. Silman probably makes a lot off of his books.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
27 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by Turfmoor
Obviously!
There is no way a woman could beat a man because they played better is there?

you sexist moron
Who peed in your cheerios?

Did I say that? NO! It was a joke where I was merely alluding to a psychological element of chess in which common stereotypes become battlefield propoganda, some of which only effect the males as a result of their thinking. Would this not be implying that women are superior?

Don't be so quick to judge.

I am also genuinley insulted by your misconception, tsk tsk.