1. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Nov '18 21:403 edits
    My opponent made this bitter pronouncement at the end of the game, regarding the unconventional move Kf1!?

I have found that, at my level (sub-2000), the games frequently do not go as they "should".

Unconventional moves can be effective, if only because they get the opponent out of their comfort zone.

The game began as follows:

The key position. Bd2 is likely the "best" move, but I saw a creative attempt at taking the initiative.

See next post for the next few moves.
  2. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    28 Nov '18 21:433 edits
  3. RSA
    Moves
    28 Nov '18 22:064 edits
    @bigdoggproblem said
    My opponent made this bitter pronouncement at the end of the game, regarding the unconventional move Kf1!?

I have found that, at my level (sub-2000), the games frequently do not go as they "should".

Unconventional moves can be effective, if only because they get the opponent out of their comfort zone.

The game began as follows:

[pgn][Event "?"]
    [Site "?"] ...[text shortened]... te has a clear edge now. I converted it to a win.}
    [/pgn]

See next post for the next few moves.
    I have to say, that's a highly interesting idea. By not blocking the check with the Knight on c3 or d2 or with the bishop on d2, which would allow Bxc3+ or Bxd2+, you forced black to give up the initiative because of the need to retreat the d5 knight. This allowed you to get the b4 bishop in a pickle.

The bishop would have been safe if he had played Ba5 followed by c6 instead of c6 followed by Ba5. After c6 first, white would like to play Qa4, but the pesky d7 bishop covers it, allowing the a5 bishop just enough time to escape. Playing c6 first shuts the d7 bishop's eyes, allowing Qa4 immediately. However, even if you had both played correctly and the bishop ended up on c7, I would still take white (despite the castling problem). A very interesting idea! I'll bank that one for later...

Edit: While imagining this afterwards, I realized my calculations were wrong. After c6 first, it is essential to play Qb3 (which x-rays b7) rather than Qa4. I missed that the a5 bishop would be protected by the queen!
  4. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    28 Nov '18 22:451 edit
    @BigDoggProblem

If 9. Qb3, then Qa5 holds the B, doesn't it (10. a3 doesn't work as the QR would hang after axBb4)? After which Black might try 10. … Ne4 and 10. … Be1 hitting f2, or 10. exchange a piece for White's c and d pawns on c5.

Just a suggestion.

Anyway 7. Kf1 is clever; just goes to show you, the knee-jerk blocking move was not the best. As Lasker said, if you see a good move, don't play it; keeping looking, you might find a better one.
  5. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    28 Nov '18 22:48
    So Ba5 before c6, eh?
    Interesting, does seem I'm still losing a pawn, possibly,
    but maybe I wouldn't have ended up crawling into a ball like I did.

I played g6 because after castles I didn't like Bh6, but Ne8 was not considered at all.
    My super exposed King and weak pawns combined killed the game altogether,
    but I can't take anything away from your ability to press the initiative.

Nice game pal, but I stand by my statement 🙂
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 01:46
    @moonbus said
    @BigDoggProblem

If 9. Qb3, then Qa5 holds the B, doesn't it (10. a3 doesn't work as the QR would hang after axBb4)? After which Black might try 10. … Ne4 and 10. … Be1 hitting f2, or 10. exchange a piece for White's c and d pawns on c5.

Just a suggestion.

Anyway 7. Kf1 is clever; just goes to show you, the knee-jerk blocking move was not the best. As Lasker said, if you see a good move, don't play it; keeping looking, you might find a better one.
    9.Qb3 Qa5 10. a3 threatens Qxb4.
  7. Joined
    26 May '10
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 07:51
    Yes, I agree that early king moves can be surprisingly effective, mostly because of the element of surprise. Such moves often seem counterintuitive, are rarely expected and are often overlooked in calculations as a result.

One of my quickest wins on RHP was due to a well timed king side-step. White had played very aggressively and was eyeing up a quick conclusion after Bxf7+ on move 7, hoping for Nxf7? followed by Qxf7++. However, after Kf8 instead of Nxf7, things are not looking too clever for white and he blundered again shortly after to end the game.

It’s not hard to see the issues for White after Kf8, but my opponent had clearly not even considered it. Given it was practically forced they really should have given it some thought.

Here’s the game:

8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 09:39
    @bigdoggproblem said
    9.Qb3 Qa5 10. a3 threatens Qxb4.
    Maybe it can still be held with ... Qa5 and ... Nd5
  9. Joined
    06 Jun '12
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 11:33
    64squaresofpain, your statement about Kf1 shouldn't have led to anything is nonsensical. You are most certainly not as good a player as BigDoggProblem is. He proved that. Perhaps Carlsen and other top GM's could prove that position but you can't.
  10. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 14:28
    @Meat-Puppet

Perhaps you missed the air of principality and stubbornness in my statement.

It is a good move, one of the best I've seen played against me on a chess site.
    It caught me off guard and led me down a murky path creating further mistakes.

It's true that I am no GM, but neither is Dogg.
    Your animosity wasn't really called for, now was it?
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 16:05
    @moonbus said
    Maybe it can still be held with ... Qa5 and ... Nd5
    After ...Nd5, Nf3 takes away the e1 square. Ra2 or Qa2 threatens to relieve the pin and grab the wayward B.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 16:08
    @meat-puppet saidYou are most certainly not as good a player as BigDoggProblem is.
    That's too harsh a conclusion based on one game. Our ratings are similar.

I didn't make this thread to slam him. I just wanted to explore the contrast between "correct" play and creative play.
  13. RSA
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 16:15
    @meat-puppet said
    64squaresofpain, your statement about Kf1 shouldn't have led to anything is nonsensical. You are most certainly not as good a player as BigDoggProblem is. He proved that. Perhaps Carlsen and other top GM's could prove that position but you can't.
    Well now, this is awkward.
  14. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 17:25

Removed by poster

15. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    29 Nov '18 17:271 edit
    @bigdoggproblem said
    After ...Nd5, Nf3 takes away the e1 square. Ra2 or Qa2 threatens to relieve the pin and grab the wayward B.
    So, it seems that your assessment that the B is out of play on b4 is right, after all, though White did not take immediate advantage of it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree