1. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 08:00
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    actually i would play the Stiff little fingers variation, heard them on the radio today, Alternative Ulster, awesomeness, anyhow back to the chess, but I am looking for advise on any particular systems Trev my son, based on the criteria. i think i should at least try to learn one opening past the third move.
    ...the wages of sin is death...
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 11:55
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    the contents of 1-4,
    supplemented with statement 5,
    are contradictory.
    actually no they are not. when one places ones pawn on 1.e4, is one engaging in piece play or pawn play? that is correct, pawn play my friend! one may employ a number of systems that require a slow build up, the kings Indian attack for example, the closed Sicilian, etc etc
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 11:58
    Originally posted by black beetle
    ...the wages of sin is death...
    Alas my friend, i am doomed to confusion, is there no way out of here Beetle?
  4. Joined
    13 Aug '07
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 12:11
    I play d4 and get nice attacking games with some e4 character. The catalan is not a good opening if you want e4 play, it is mainly based on long term pressure on the queenside.

I would suggest looking at games of e.g. Aronian or Grischuk or other agressive players that use mainly d4. I have had trouble choosing an opening move but have found out that d4 really fits me, it might fit you!
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 12:19
    Rob, play them all and see which ones you like, overthinking all the possible permutations is only going to do your head in. You have to find this out for yourself.

Some people like playing d4, some e4. As you know i like playing c4 at the moment, but in a few months time i may change to something else.
  6. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 12:23
    Yes; methinks the ultimate sin of the chessplayer is neglecting tactics😵
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 12:28
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Rob, play them all and see which ones you like, overthinking all the possible permutations is only going to do your head in. You have to find this out for yourself.

Some people like playing d4, some e4. As you know i like playing c4 at the moment, but in a few months time i may change to something else.
    yes dont i just know it , English opening (spit ding!)
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 12:311 edit
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Yes; methinks the ultimate sin of the chessplayer is neglecting tactics😵
    yes after a long long struggle my games are generally always decided by a tactical shot! one builds the house of cards only to see it crash to the ground because of some tactical miscalculation or even worse, optimism! bah how i am an eternal optimist Beetle fearing nothing! and also winning nothing as a consequence!
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 12:55
    Play e4.
  10. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 13:22
    yes after a long long struggle my games are generally always decided by a tactical shot! one builds the house of cards only to see it crash to the ground because of some tactical miscalculation or even worse, optimism! bah how i am an eternal optimist Beetle fearing nothing! and also winning nothing as a consequence!
    Then why don't ye become prest to train harder? Methinks you could try for starters to go all the way up to 93 Hope Street and get the proper ammunition -it's closer than Ardcalloch I reckon, and them noble warriors up there will be glad to hand you the solid drakkar required for the fast deployment of yer chessmen😵
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 13:56
    Why choose? Play them both.
  12. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 18:05
    actually no they are not. when one places ones pawn on 1.e4, is one engaging in piece play or pawn play? that is correct, pawn play my friend! one may employ a number of systems that require a slow build up, the kings Indian attack for example, the closed Sicilian, etc etc
    The KIA hasn't been popular since Fisher used it...
    the Closed Sicilian hasn't been popular since Spassky...
    and with 1. e4 white is going for piece play...
    look at the Giuoco Piano and Ruy Lopez...
    White will a lot of times have moved three pieces and castled while having moved only one pawn.
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 18:432 edits
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    [b]The KIA hasn't been popular since Fisher used it...
    the Closed Sicilian hasn't been popular since Spassky...
    I don't believe either of these statements are true, especially at the amateur level. GM Morozevich led the vanguard of recent masters playing the KIA, and the Closed Sicilian has had more than one renaissance since the 1980's, especially when White players were scoring well with 6. Be3.

Taking a step back, the popularity or lack thereof for any particular opening would not automatically be a factor for me. Following fashion in chess is letting other people influence your play in a manner that doesn't really help.

As a humorous aside, I live in Florida in the US, and below the Master level by far the most popular answer to 1. e4 c5 is the Closed Sicilian. In local tournaments it is the de facto "main line", with the Open Sicilian being an interesting sideline that people rarely get to play.

Perhaps I should say that we should pay attention to fashion so we'll know what we need to prepare against.
  14. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Mar '10 19:01
    As Paul, I have observed that the so-called mainlines are rare gems in local OTB tournament play below the master level.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '10 06:59
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I don't believe either of these statements are true, especially at the amateur level. GM Morozevich led the vanguard of recent masters playing the KIA, and the Closed Sicilian has had more than one renaissance since the 1980's, especially when White players were scoring well with 6. Be3.

Taking a step back, the popularity or lack thereof for any par ...[text shortened]... t we should pay attention to fashion so we'll know what we need to prepare against.
    GM Morozevich (peace be upon him!)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree