Shatranj

Shatranj

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

n

Moves
23 Aug 08
3 edits

Has anyone here played Shatranj?

I think it would be interesting to see the outcome of a nonrated RHP Shatranj or Chaturanga tournament as tribute to one of these predecessors of chess.

There are many different possibilities: Makruk, Sittuyin, Chaturaji etc.

i

Moves
23 Aug 08

Originally posted by nihilismor

I think it would be interesting to see the outcome of a nonrated RHP Shatranj tournament as tribute to this predecessor of chess.
id be game to try.. but as it was 1000s of years ago- subs only! 😉

k

Moves
23 Aug 08

I think it would be interesting to see the outcome of a nonrated RHP Shatranj or Chaturanga tournament as tribute to one of these predecessors of chess.

There are many different possibilities: Makruk, Sittuyin, Chaturaji etc.
Santranch is the Turkish name for 'Chess'.

rc

Moves
23 Aug 08

shatrunj is also the urdu/hindi name for chess, which means that it could be arabic , persian or sanskrit, probably the former.

n

Moves
23 Aug 08

Each of the games named in the first post, including shatranj, are chess-like games with pieces which are similar to chess but do not necessarily move the same way.

N
10. O-O

Kalispell, MT

Moves
23 Aug 08

Each of the games named in the first post, including shatranj, are chess-like games with pieces which are similar to chess but do not necessarily move the same way.
the way the bishops move is kinda nuts...makes it very difficult...alot of strategy involved with two pieces that cannot capture one another, but can jump every piece on the board... looks fun.

also, no outrageous queens...