Sharp 1. e4 e5 openings for White

Sharp 1. e4 e5 openings for White

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m

Moves
01 Jan 09
2 edits

Recently I've noticed that the openings I play don't match my style, so I decided to redo my entire repetoire. I've figured almost everything out, except what to play as White after 1. e4 e5.

Seeing as I'm a tactical player, I would preffer tactical/sharp lines.

I guess I'll start with:

Evan's Gambit

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. b4!?

i

Moves
01 Jan 09

Originally posted by moteutsch
Recently I've noticed that the openings I play don't match my style, so I decided to redo my entire repetoire. I've figured almost everything out, except what to play as White after 1. e4 e5.

I guess I'll start with:

[b]Evan's Gambit

[fen]r1bqk1nr/pppp1ppp/2n5/2b1p3/1PB1P3/5N2/P1PP1PPP/RNBQK2R b KQkq -[/fen][/b]
you could to the birds opening, it gives you great attacks, and a good majority of times with opposite-sided castling

m

Moves
01 Jan 09

You mean 1. f4 ? I've tried it, and, personally, I really don't like.

M

Moves
01 Jan 09

What are your thoughts on the King's Gambit?

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
01 Jan 09

Try the Ponziani: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3. Most Black players have never seen this,and it can lead to good attacking chances for White. Black usually plays 3...Nf6 or 3...d5?!

U

Moves
02 Jan 09

Originally posted by sundown316
Try the Ponziani: 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.c3. Most Black players have never seen this,and it can lead to good attacking chances for White. Black usually plays 3...Nf6 or 3...d5?!
Why do you give d5 as ?! meaning a dubious move? The last time I checked this was a perfectly valid response to the ponziani with the intent of punishing white's relative passivity.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
02 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by Meadows
What are your thoughts on the King's Gambit?
Great fun and if you know what you are doing it can get white really good results.

I have had some fantistic wins against strong players and some very quick wins against weaker players. However a word of warning, against a knowledgable and well prepared black white can have an extremely difficult game.

Because the game is highly tactical and one mistake can lose it is essential you use a good book and DB and study every position arising in your games very carefully as a single move out of sequence can lose rapidly. Even after playing 100s of KGA games I never assume I know the moves correctly other in the most common lines and almost always look it up.

b

Moves
04 Jan 09

I would suggest the Scotch Game to avoid the closed positions encountered in, say, the Giuoco Piano or the Ruy Lopez.

g

Moves
04 Jan 09

In the Italian game, White has the choice of playing a tactical or positional game. For a tactical game play the Evans vs 3....Bc5 or 4 Ng5 vs the Two Knights. Black doesn't have an easy way of avoiding tactics in either case.

rc

Moves
04 Jan 09
1 edit

Originally posted by moteutsch

I guess I'll start with:

[b]Evan's Gambit

[fen]r1bqk1nr/pppp1ppp/2n5/2b1p3/1PB1P3/5N2/P1PP1PPP/RNBQK2R b KQkq -[/fen][/b]
why don't you try the bishops opening. 1.e4 e5, 2.Bc4, it cuts out a lot of theory and restricts some of blacks reply's, no need of learning crazy Ruy Lopez variations or those boring old Petroff ones, plus there are not a few tricks and traps to undermine the unwary, plus if you can get f4 in as well, it becomes a very aggressive hybrid with the kings gambit, here is a typical setup, minus the black moves of course.

hi the move order 1.e4 e5, 2.Bc4 Nf6, 3.d3 is the bishops opening proper and not a Vienna - wish you well, regards Robbie.

t

Moves
04 Jan 09

max lange attack.

C

Moves
04 Jan 09

I always like to go for a Scotch Gambit as white, 1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3.d4 exd4 4. Bc4

This is always fun.

For black I have gotten alot of info on the Philidor Counter Gambit from a person and am really looking into that one.

I have tried a few variations of the Philidor but this one is pretty nuts, but as the guy told me, "It's the ultimate 'F U defense', which basically states, either you get me or i get you. No draws today"

I have been going over his personal analysis and alot of his games. I must admit, it's very interesting.

s
The Mighty Messenger

The Wood of N'Kai

Moves
04 Jan 09

Originally posted by Uries
Why do you give d5 as ?! meaning a dubious move? The last time I checked this was a perfectly valid response to the ponziani with the intent of punishing white's relative passivity.
3...d5?! is too loosening. After 4.Bb5,Black's center is looking mighty shaky. I think 3...Nf6 is much better for Black