RIP Bent Larsen

RIP Bent Larsen

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to basics

About

Moves
10 Sep 10

A legend died today.

He will be missed!

T
I am become Death

Moves
10 Sep 10

The last acolyte of Nimzowitsch.

He also gave Robert Fischer the fastest loss he'd ever had in the Ruy Lopez.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
10 Sep 10

old bent giving the bird to spassky:

bent beating fisher in the face with the blunt end of fisher-sozin:

e

timed out again

Moves
10 Sep 10

The news wasn't on ChessBase but i have seen the news in a couple of other places. He passed away yesterday (the evening of the 9th).

RIP.

Moves
10 Sep 10

Originally posted by Lundos
A legend died today.

He will be missed!
That is indeed very sad news. He was the most original player i think there has ever been.

Moves
10 Sep 10

He is with all the other Chess Gods at the Great Tournament. RIP Larsen.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
10 Sep 10

RIP herr Larsen.

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
10 Sep 10

Sad news, as he is one of my inspirations for the game. Here's a SWEET and creative game in the Accelerated Dragon against Karpov:

Back to basics

About

Moves
10 Sep 10

Originally posted by enrico20
The news wasn't on ChessBase but i have seen the news in a couple of other places. He passed away yesterday (the evening of the 9th).

RIP.
Yes, it was actually yesterday. The Danish media is just slow as usual.

Still it's sad. My father played him in a 20 man simul in 1963 or '64, when he was in high school. He likes to tell that story. Of course he lost, but a friend of his drew his game. BL won the rest. Imaging drawing against BL in his prime while in high school. Must have been a fun experience. Anyway, after the matches BL stayed and talked chess with the lads for a long time. He was a good guy.

During the Copenhagen Chess Festival/Politiken Cup this year, BL was celebrated because of his 75 year anniversary by having the Danish GM Peter Heine Nielsen play the Russian GM Peter Shirov. Shirov won easily. At least that's how PHN tells it.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
10 Sep 10

Very sad, and I love the Karpov game. I have looked at that game probably 20x over the years.

Moves
10 Sep 10

Originally posted by Lundos
Yes, it was actually yesterday. The Danish media is just slow as usual.

Still it's sad. My father played him in a 20 man simul in 1963 or '64, when he was in high school. He likes to tell that story. Of course he lost, but a friend of his drew his game. BL won the rest. Imaging drawing against BL in his prime while in high school. Must have been a fun exp ...[text shortened]... ielsen play the Russian GM Peter Shirov. Shirov won easily. At least that's how PHN tells it.
Yes, very sad. He was one of my favorites from the 60's and 70's.

rc

Moves
10 Sep 10
1 edit

another legend crosses the rainbow bridge, to Valhalla,

RIP Bent Larsen,

although i never knew you, your art lives on

T

Moves
11 Sep 10

RIP Bent Larsen

Great player of some exceptionally crazy games!

Inspiration for the GM Danielsens Polar Bear System in the Birds Opening (Henrik Danielsen vs Thomas Luther).

An innovative and fearless Chess Grand Master.

s

Moves
11 Sep 10

I loved watching and listning to him on the telivision program "Master Chess". His games will live on. He was an inspiring player.

RIP Bent Larson.

MR

Moves
12 Sep 10

Aw, man, sad news indeed. Rest in peace, Bent.