Recklessly playing the Evan's Gambit

Recklessly playing the Evan's Gambit

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U

Moves
13 Mar 13

On move 11 I stupidly gave up a piece. I was thinking "Bishop for bishop & pawn plus force king to move", forgetting he had just taken my knight. I figured I would play on and try to throw the kitchen sink at him with my active pieces.

The last several moves I relied heavily on the "Analyze board" feature. I wish I had the chess vision to see that many moves ahead without it, but I'm still learning.

All comments and suggestions are appreciated!

w

on your backrank!

Moves
13 Mar 13
1 edit

of course you blundered on move 11 but from there on you played very well!
The most important lesson to learn from your game is

"don't give up just because of a material deficit. If you have an active position it'll probably be difficult for your opp to defend"

edit: oops, you missed a mate in 1, didn't you??

U

Moves
13 Mar 13

Originally posted by watchyourbackrank

edit: oops, you missed a mate in 1, didn't you??
Where??

FL

Moves
13 Mar 13

Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
Where??
On your very last move. You had something better than Bc1+.

U

Moves
13 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Fat Lady
On your very last move. You had something better than Bc1+.
Nh3++

🙁 why do I miss this stuff!

FL

Moves
13 Mar 13
1 edit

To give your tactical muscles a workout, have a look at the position after Black's 21st move:

The move which jumped out at me in this position was 22. Re5+. I think White has a forced mate, but I'm not 100% sure I haven't missed anything. See how far you can analyse, firstly just in your head and then with the help of the analysis board (or a real one!).

U

Moves
13 Mar 13

To give your tactical muscles a workout, have a look at the position after Black's 21st move:
[fen]r4r2/pp1b2pp/3Q2q1/5kN1/5Pn1/B7/P5PP/4R1K1 w - - 0 22[/fen]
The move which jumped out at me in this position was 22. Re5+. I think White has a forced mate, but I'm not 100% sure I haven't missed anything. See how far you can analyse, firstly just in your head and then with the help of the analysis board (or a real one!).
I looked at that during the game. As far as my brain can visualize...

Black knight takes, Queen takes, King escapes to g4, pawn checks?

I don't know how to use the analysis board except in game.

ml

out on bail

Moves
13 Mar 13

[fen]r4r2/pp1b2pp/3Q2q1/5kN1/5Pn1/B7/P5PP/4R1K1 w - - 0 22[/fen]
I prefer 22. Qd3+ If 22......Kxp, then Nh3++ If 22....Kf6 then Be7++

Moves
14 Mar 13

"The move which jumped out at me in this position was 22. Re5+."

Why? Not looking at the game and just looking at your position Qd7+ seems to be the obvious move - it gains a bishop thereby restoring some of the material inequality and it also should end in mate. My motto is simple chess is best - know your endgames and play your middle game with the idea of moving into a won endgame. Flashy mating attacks only come after your foe has made mistakes.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Mar 13

Nh3++

🙁 why do I miss this stuff!
I have always had a hard time seeing all the possibiities in knight moves, especially in an OTB game when I know I better not spend to much time thinking on any one move.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Mar 13

Originally posted by kbear1k

Why? Not looking at the game and just looking at your position Qd7+ seems to be the obvious move - it gains a bishop thereby restoring some of the material inequality and it also should end in mate. My motto is simple chess is best - know your endgames and play your middle game with the idea ...[text shortened]... f moving into a won endgame. Flashy mating attacks only come after your foe has made mistakes.
I agree, 22.Re5+ does not look like it will work after NxR.

U

Moves
14 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by kbear1k

Why? Not looking at the game and just looking at your position Qd7+ seems to be the obvious move - it gains a bishop thereby restoring some of the material inequality and it also should end in mate. My motto is simple chess is best - know your endgames and play your middle game with the idea ...[text shortened]... f moving into a won endgame. Flashy mating attacks only come after your foe has made mistakes.
I agree, especially for players at my level.

But with more than one mating webs, isn't the one with the fewest moves always considered the "correct" move?

Edit: I don't know if that's the case here.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
14 Mar 13

Originally posted by michael liddle
I prefer 22. Qd3+ If 22......Kxp, then Nh3++ If 22....Kf6 then Be7++
Yeap, that works.

Moves
14 Mar 13

I agree, especially for players at my level.

But with more than one mating webs, isn't the one with the fewest moves always considered the "correct" move?

Edit: I don't know if that's the case here.
"But with more than one mating webs, isn't the one with the fewest moves always considered the "correct" move?"

Yes - and no. I would say that the "best" is the one you are most comfortable with. I played the white side of a nice Caro-Kan some years ago for a club championship. After a few errors on the part of my opponent I was able to sack pieces opening up his kingside and chase the black king to e3 where it was mated. The nice part of the combination was that it was a series of checks followed by 1 waiting move and a series of more checks. The combination was about 7-8 moves (all but one of them checks). After the game I found that I missed a mate in one at the tail end of the combination - ok I felt a bit foolish but the point is that the game was still won. My motto is do whatever you feel most comfortable with in scoring the point. I always choose the simple conservative game vs. the complcated lines when given a choice. JMHO

Moves
14 Mar 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I agree, 22.Re5+ does not look like it will work after NxR.
Re5+ also works for white but it would not be my first choice - just a matter of my style - that's all. BTW - I love the Evan's Gambit - good choice for OTB chess.