Recent Ruy Lopez Schliemann

Recent Ruy Lopez Schliemann

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

U

Moves
11 Nov 11
2 edits

Here's a game that I recently finished using the Ruy Lopez Schliemann variation. As you'll be able to clearly see I went up a piece in the opening because of some missteps from white (Notable is 7.Qh5 instead of 7.Ng4). After this advantage white pressed on and managed to regain some material, only to find himself in a losing position...

Game 8833839

I don't have a lot of time now, but I plan to add some annotations later if I get the chance and there seems to be some interest.

t

Moves
11 Nov 11

kind of cute from white to actually underpromote 😀

ps: would love to see some annotations!

q

Moves
12 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by UnderPromote
Here's a game that I recently finished using the Ruy Lopez Schliemann variation. As you'll be able to clearly see I went up a piece in the opening because of some missteps from white (Notable is 7.Qh5 instead of 7.Ng4). After this advantage white pressed on and managed to regain some material, only to find himself in a losing position...

[gid]88338 ions later if I get the chance and there seems to be some interest.

U

Moves
16 Nov 11
1 edit

Originally posted by UnderPromote

[gid]88338 ions later if I get the chance and there seems to be some interest.
Well there was hardly any interest, but one person did mention wanting to see some annotations so I wrote in some quick notes. I apologize for their lack of depth but I couldn't justify doing much more with such seemingly little interest:

I forgot to add that instead of white's 7.Qh5+? Novelty he should perhaps have tried 7.Ng4 which is what my database recommends.

m

In attack

Moves
16 Nov 11

Nice ebb and flow to the game, and one can only applaud move 55 🙂

JB

Moves
25 Nov 11
1 edit

I wouldn't have played 7. Qh5+ without planning to follow up with 8. Nxg6. It doesn't win a rook as normal for this structure because of the black queen on e5 but it destroys Black's king side pawns and prevents castling and - if White can survive any immediate king side attack - creates a very interesting and imbalanced game.