Reactions to blunders

Reactions to blunders

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E

Moves
01 Sep 17

I am worried because I get very happy when I open a game and see that my opponent blundered.

I am happy not because what I did was good, but another person played something bad.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
02 Sep 17

You only go around once in this Chess world, so take what ever you can.

At all chess levels, people make mistakes. Do you want an opponent who never makes a mistake? That's called a computer.

E

Moves
02 Sep 17

Originally posted by @montymoose
You only go around once in this Chess world, so take what ever you can.

At all chess levels, people make mistakes. Do you want an opponent who never makes a mistake? That's called a computer.
No, I want opponents that make lots of mistakes! I like to win. I just think that is probably a character flaw.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
02 Sep 17

Then we are on the same page, mi amigo. One of the sweet moments in Chess is when you force two options onto your opponent and neither of them is good. Also leaving poisioned bait laying around and waiting for the big bass to come up and investigate. Punish the blunders. That is part of the game.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
02 Sep 17

Originally posted by @eladar
I am worried because I get very happy when I open a game and see that my opponent blundered.

I am happy not because what I did was good, but another person played something bad.
Maybe you simply need to enjoy the game more, and worry a little less.

Über-Nerd

Moves
02 Sep 17

There is a word for this in German: "Schadensfreude," pleasure at another's misfortune.

Just don't forget that you too will blunder.

E

Moves
02 Sep 17

Originally posted by @moonbus
There is a word for this in German: "Schadensfreude," pleasure at another's misfortune.

Just don't forget that you too will blunder.
I blunder quite often.

Über-Nerd

Moves
03 Sep 17

I blunder quite often.
The trick is to do it against stronger and stronger players.

E

Moves
03 Sep 17

The trick is to do it against stronger and stronger players.
In other words, to refine your blunders so fewer and fewer people will recognize them as blunders.

Über-Nerd

Moves
03 Sep 17

Yup.

E

Moves
03 Sep 17

Yup.
I have far to go.

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
04 Sep 17

...I have far to go...
So what else better you got to do with your time, Bucky? Well, except for all that 'real life' silliness. 😛

Über-Nerd

Moves
04 Sep 17

I have far to go.
It's better than the alternatives.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
08 Sep 17

He who laughs at calamity shall not go unpunished.

-God

Chess Librarian

The Stacks

Moves
09 Sep 17
2 edits

I am reading GM Jonathan Rowson's book Chess For Zebras, and in one place he quotes another GM who says something to the effect of

"You know you are getting better when everyone else seems to be playing worse".

and this thread seems to be in that neighborhood.

As an aside, Rowson's books are awesome. He has changes how I approach OTB play for the better, as I have raised my OTB rating by 120 ELO in 6 months, and placed 1st or tied for 1st in two weekend Tournaments in my section (Orlando Chess Stars Open U2000 and the Southern Open U2100 <I won the U1900 prize $ in the section> in Florida USA) for just over $1100 in prize money.

I feel like I owe him a commission, if for no other reason than that my wife has stopped giving me grief about the $$ I spend on chess books.... 🙄