Rahim's Chess Lessons

Rahim's Chess Lessons

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06

Comments I got from different users about the puzzle:

12. Kd8 Rxd1+ 13. Bd6

11...Kd8 12 Rxd1+ Ke7(black can now go to e7 since the white rook has left the e file and Ng6 is not a double check anymore) the alternative to 12...Ke7 12...Bd6 is inferior because white can regain the some material with 13 Nxc6+ bxc6 14 Bxg7.

...Kd8
Rxd1+....Bd6

This would get black out of mating danger and develop his bishop.

11. ... Ke7 12. NxN+; QxR++

Can't be in two places at once. White cannot maintain pressure on the Black King while at the same time preventing the Black Queen from moving in for mate.

Ke7 Ng6++ Kxf7 Nxh8#

so, the solution must be:

Kd8 Rxd1+ Bd7! Rxd7+ Kc8 [Bd6? Nxc6 bxc6 Bxg7]

1 ... Ke7
2 RxQ NxN
3 BxN KxB looks pretty straightforward for a winnig position for Black.

Anyway, defending seems fairly simple...

1...Ke8 2.Rxd1+ Bd6 seems to stop the attack.

Ok Rahim here goes? 11 Ke7 12 kng6+ kd8 13.rxq+ bd6 then 14 bxf8 g+f6 or kn moves and knf6 saves pawn and gets knight in the game. Thanks

After Bxf7+ there are 2 possible moves: Ke7 and Kd8. As Ke7 was played in the game and led to a nice mate=> the proper move can be only Kd8

Okay my solution is

11... Kd8 12. Rxd1+ Bd6 13. Ba3 Nxe5 14. Bxd6 cxd6 15. Rxd6 Ke7 and Black Is fine

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06
2 edits

Solution to puzzle 4:

Black is up a rook and has reasonable development but the position is harder to win for white after 11...Kd8! 12.Nxc6+ messing up the pawns
12…bxc6 13.Rxd1+ Ke7 and Black should win this. Black can put the knight on f6, get his bishops out and try trading of the active white rook. Remember Black was ahead a rook to begin with.

Lessons learned:

1.Even great players make mistakes. We should learnt from our mistakes and not make them again.

2.Never underestimate your opponents. Always assumes he finds the best move. Only set traps if it helps your position. Don't set a trap which if your opponent doesn't fall for, will ruin your position. If black hadn't fallen for this trap then he Morphy would have lost.

3.Always make sure your king is safe. Mates can happen anytime.

4.Don't be greedy. Black kept snatching pawns, neglecting his development and then eventually got to greedy and grabbed the bishop which he paid dearly for.

Hope you enjoyed this game.

[b]Any comments?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06

Puzzle 1 Puzzle 2 Puzzle 3 Puzzle 4
Shinidoki 1 1 1 1
typen 1 1 1 1
prenshaw84 1 1 1 1
omulcusobolani 1 1 1 1
vipiu 1 1 1 1
BLReid 1 1 1 1
chesskid001 1 1 1 1
Kevin Mcfarland 1 1 1 1
Falco Lombardi 1 1 1 1
HandyAndy 1 1 1 1

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06
1 edit

I will be posting the games,comments,solutions, and point on my blog. It's easier to manage and read there and they have colors!!

The address is under my profile.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06
1 edit

I know a lot of you guys love Kasp. So I will go over one of his games next. This game will have 3 puzzles at the end to solve. They are easy though.

Stay tuned.

v

Moves
27 Nov 06

can you post diagrams in your blog too ?

MS

Under Cover

Moves
27 Nov 06

Rahim,

Thanks a million for the effort here. I have to say that I don't think this method of reviewing games is nearly as interesting as the guess the move method we did before. It almost seems like we are doing a bit of reading, then solving a tactical puzzle. I understand that most players need the extra tactics practice, and I am no exception. However, I think the guess the move method helps to improve both tactical assesments and positional judgement. These are just my thoughts, I don't know how everyone else feels.

Brian

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
27 Nov 06

So, am I added?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by vipiu
can you post diagrams in your blog too ?
I cannot post diagrams on my blog currently. I used to have an old chess creation program which I used to make my 1000 problems and put them into word. I can't remember the user name and password for it. It was one of those free ones but if you pay you can use it forever. I'll see If I can find a way to put puzzle on there.

Maybe save it as .jpeg or something.

RK

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by BLReid
Rahim,

Thanks a million for the effort here. I have to say that I don't think this method of reviewing games is nearly as interesting as the guess the move method we did before. It almost seems like we are doing a bit of reading, then solving a tactical puzzle. I understand that most players need the extra tactics practice, and I am no exception. However, ...[text shortened]... sitional judgement. These are just my thoughts, I don't know how everyone else feels.

Brian
The guess a move was good but it requires a lot of time which I do not have and you can only go over 1 game in a month almost.

Have you ever read that book Logical Chess: Move by Move or Chess: the Art of Logical thinking ?

What I am doing is basically the same thing. Helping people understand the moves. I read both books and learnt a lot from them. The game is easier to play when you understand what to do.

You always here Strong players telling younger players to go over master games and that will help them improve.However, very few people actually listen to this. I'm doing just that though🙂

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by kbaumen
So, am I added?
You can follow the game and puzzles on here or on my blog.Write down your solution and then check it when I post my solution.

I already have enough people on my list and don't have any more time right now to read anymore PMs. So I cannot add you to my list now.

RK

MS

Under Cover

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by RahimK
The guess a move was good but it requires a lot of time which I do not have and you can only go over 1 game in a month almost.

Have you ever read that book Logical Chess: Move by Move or Chess: the Art of Logical thinking ?

What I am doing is basically the same thing. Helping people understand the moves. I read both books and learnt a lot from them. ...[text shortened]... elp them improve.However, very few people actually listen to this. I'm doing just that though🙂
Yes, I have Logical Chess and enjoy reaind over it periodically. It doesn't seem to get old for me, even thought the lessons in it are repetative by design. I haven't read Chess: The Art of Logical Thinking yet, so I'll put that on my list.

BLR

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06

Originally posted by BLReid
Yes, I have Logical Chess and enjoy reaind over it periodically. It doesn't seem to get old for me, even thought the lessons in it are repetative by design. I haven't read Chess: The Art of Logical Thinking yet, so I'll put that on my list.

BLR
Yups, I read it two times already. Chess: the art of logical thinking

is exactly like logical chess but with games by GM's from 1970-2006 such as Anand, Kasp, Topolav, Kramnik etc...

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06

Welcome everyone. This is Game 4 of this thread. I hope you enjoy it.

White: Kasparov
Black: T. Petrosian

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 Bb4+

This is the Bogo-Indian Defense. One of my favorites as Black which I play often.

4. Bd2 Qe7

Petrosian doesn't want to waste time by retreating the bishop. If White plays 5.Nc3 then this invites 2 exchanges. 5.Nc3 Bxc3 6.Bxc3 Ne4 and Nxc3 next move. Black has less space and therefore welcomes exchanges.

5.g3

If white tries 5.Bxd4 then he drops either the c4 or b2 pawn after 5...Qxd4+

5...Bxd2+ 6.Qxd2 0-0 7.Bg2

Keep you eye on Blacks bishop on c8 during this game. See how much better White's bishop is on g2.

7...d5 challenging the white center

8.0-0 dxc4
Black is in a hurry to simplify the position. 8...Rd8 is better since it shuts down the white bishop for now. Black feels the c5 will equalize the game.

9.Na3! intending to recapture on c4 with a knight.

9...c5 10.dxc5 Qxc5 11.Rac1

Putting pressure on the c-pawn and the Queen. The pawns are almost identical and it looks very drawish.White's winning chances depend on his greater mobility.

11...Nc6 12.Nxc4 Qe7 13.Nfe5 Nxe5 14.Nxe5

Notice the pressure along the c file and the a8-h1 diagonal. Black wants to play Bd7 and connect his rooks but Rc7 pinning the bishop is hard to meet. Rc7 is better then Bxb7.

14...Nd5

Petrosian is willing to give up a pawn to develop his bishop. The variation runs, 15.Bxd5 exd5 16.Qxd5 Bh3 followed by 17...Rfd8 when the c8 bishop has come alive.

15.Rfd1! Refuses the bait.

15...Nb6 There was nothign better. 16...Bd7 17.Nxd7 Qxd7 e4 wins a piece. 16...Rd8 looses in the same fashion.

16.Qa5! Ties the rook down to the a7 pawn and controls c7 square for the rook indirectly after the knight moves!

16...g6 preventing back rank stuff and trying to trade off a rook with Rd8 next move.

17.Rd3! See problems below

17...Nd5 18.e4! Notice the control of the queen on the c7 square.

Therefore 18...Nb6 stopping Rc7.

19.Bf1 Improving the bishop

19...Re8 20.Rdd1 Rf8
Black is just waiting. Why can't Black play 20...Bd7 see below problem.

21.a3! proving that black has nothing

21...Kg7 22.b3 Kg8 Killing time.

23.a4 White next move is to remove the Queen and play a5 kicking the Knight to d7 where it can be fatally pinned.

23...Rd8 Because of the a5 threat, Black has to try an active move which is crushed immediately.

24.Qc5! 1-0.

Notice how the Black bishop and Rook on a8 didn't take a part in the game? It was as if White was up a bishop and a rook. Petrosian was totally paralysed by Kasp.

As mention before, there will be 3 puzzles for this game. I will post the first puzzle and give you 2 days to solve it. Then I will post the comments, solution and next puzzle. I'm thinking I will post 2 more games after this and then start giving out prizes to people will full points on my list. So remember to do each of the puzzle by 2 days and send me the solution and you will stay on my list. Currently, there are 10 people remaining on my list 🙂

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
27 Nov 06

Puzzle 1 for Game 4

White has just played 17.Rd3! Why can't Black play 17...Rd8?

Two days, then I will be posting puzzle 2 for this game