1. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 18:43
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Throwing rocks continously?

Then yes, otherwise the king can sneak in there when there is a delay between rocks arriving.

En passant:

You are the lonely pawn shunned by everyone. Your whole life you dream about becoming another piece. Your King tells you that you will never become anything but a mere pawn, but the other King loves he's beloved pawns ...[text shortened]... created. To make it fair for poor pawns who don't get a chance to capture the other pawns.
    No, en passent (in passing) was created because of the French in the 14th century. Their reason was that if a soldier were to pass unawares of an enemy soldier and wasn't looking, why shouldn't he be killed for his not looking at the right time as in real life? Secondly, en passent saves positions from getting too locked up with pawns, thus creating a difficult, nearly bland position. But, I loved your little story. Quite humorous.
  2. Joined
    17 Aug '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 18:50
    IIRC Korchnoi had to check that castling rule with Lothar during his World Championship Match with Karpov in 1978.
  3. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 18:51
    Originally posted by powershaker
    No, en passent (in passing) was created because of the French in the 14th century. Their reason was that if a soldier were to pass unawares of an enemy soldier and wasn't looking, why shouldn't he be killed for his not looking at the right time as in real life? Secondly, en passent saves positions from getting too locked up with pawns, thus creating a difficult, nearly bland position. But, I loved your little story. Quite humorous.
    um no. En passAnt was thrown into chess after the rules were changed.....pawns only used to be able to move one square in the opening...well they wanted chess to be sexier, quicker, more hip and to wear trainers etc, to do this they changed the opening rules so that the pawns could move twice on the first move making the game more action packed. However they came across a problem.....pawns could pass each other without being subject to capture.....they got niffed and made the en passant rule 🙂
  4. Joined
    11 Sep '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 18:55
    Originally posted by Bedlam
    um no. En passAnt was thrown into chess after the rules were changed.....pawns only used to be able to move one square in the opening...well they wanted chess to be sexier, quicker, more hip and to wear trainers etc, to do this they changed the opening rules so that the pawns could move twice on the first move making the game more action packed. However the ...[text shortened]... each other without being subject to capture.....they got niffed and made the en passant rule 🙂
    Pretty much. 🙂 2-space moving pawns were very very quickly followed by the "en passant" rule, and I believe castling was added in at around the same time. All these rules tended to speed up the game without really changing much of the strategy - instead of playing 1. e3 e6 2. e4 e5, it was 1. e4 e5 instead.
  5. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 18:57
    Originally posted by OrangeKing
    Pretty much. 🙂 2-space moving pawns were very very quickly followed by the "en passant" rule, and I believe castling was added in at around the same time. All these rules tended to speed up the game without really changing much of the strategy - instead of playing 1. e3 e6 2. e4 e5, it was 1. e4 e5 instead.
    Um, yeah, um... I know that. But, it was instituted by the French in the 14th century. Um, yeah, well, yeah, um... I knew that. You're only adding to the factual statements I made concerning the pawns. Sweet pretty little pawns.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '06 19:34
    You have a 1511 rating on redhotpawn, and you don't know the answer yourself? Come now, mate. Away with yourself!
    what are you trying to say?
  7. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    20 Oct '06 19:20
    Originally posted by trevor33
    what are you trying to say?
    Oh, nothing! Just forget it! Good grief Charlie Brown.
  8. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    Insanity at Masada
    tinyurl.com/mw7txe34
    Moves
    21 Oct '06 14:16
    Um, yeah, um... I know that. But, it was instituted by the French in the 14th century. Um, yeah, well, yeah, um... I knew that. You're only adding to the factual statements I made concerning the pawns. Sweet pretty little pawns.
    Pawnophile! 😠
  9. Joined
    22 Sep '06
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 01:08
    Originally posted by hahahaaaa
    There is a flip side to this. A king normaly can't castle through a check, but if the piece is pinned, it can. So it is odd that you can't sit your king on a square that would be check if the piece was unpinned. But that is chess and cest la vie.
    ? Actually you can't castle through check even if the checking piece is pinned, same rule for moving normally through check of a pinned piece XD.
  10. Joined
    17 Dec '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '06 02:191 edit
    Originally posted by hahahaaaa
    It's the online database. I tried it now (I should have done it before) with the rook unpinned and it still allowed me to castle through check. Sorry.
    Sorry again :-)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree