Q vs 2R

Q vs 2R

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
06 Dec 06

I took a look at the end game table base; and I don't think the situation is as clear as people are saying. Assume that white has the two rooks, then with white to move he'll win in 58.2% of cases, draw in 36.8% and lose in 5.1% of positions. With black to move first the stats change a bit: +1: 52.0% = 37% -1: 11%. Not all the positions where black wins are trivial (forking the pieces instantly):

black to play and mates in 49.

In this position black can force a fork in about 7 moves. What is definitely right is that, except in a few cases which you can probably avoid, once the rooks are connected black cannot win.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by DeepThought
What is definitely right is that, except in a few cases which you can probably avoid, once the rooks are connected black cannot win.
Absolutely - this is critical. Once the Rooks are connected the player with the Rooks has the only winning chances but (depending on the position of the king) the Queen may draw by perpetual.

My statement that the queen cannot win was based on the assumption that the side with the Rooks will be able to connect them. Clearly if the side with the Rooks does not have the move and they are not already connected the queen could win and must attempt to fork the rooks but will need to give constant checks. However even a Q vs R ending is notoriously difficult for the queen to win - this was discussed in an earlier thread.

A

Moves
06 Dec 06

Granted, but my statement wasn't so much aimed at the 2 rooks question, but in response to the statement made that big mistakes don't happen amongst GMs.

I fully understand your point, and perhaps I should have been more specific. 🙂

V

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Once the Rooks are connected the player with the Rooks has the only winning chances
Unless mate threats cannot be parried. Black to move.

(this exception is not to be taken too seriously 🙂)

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by Varenka
Unless mate threats cannot be parried. Black to move
You might as well have posted this.

Theorectically bad positions are always posible but unlikely to occur in practise.

b

Hainesport, NJ, USA

Moves
06 Dec 06

In my humble experience, all else being equal the two rooks trump the queen--as long as the rooks are connected. In endgame, I strive to connect the rooks as soon as possible. But there are a lot of possibilities in a quirky position, possibilities in which the queen might be more maneuverable.

V

Moves
06 Dec 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Theorectically bad positions are always posible but unlikely to occur in practise.
But it didn't stop you posting your initial example.

My example was just a curious rarity where the rooks are protected but are badly placed. Sure, it has no practical value. But if practical value was the main theme of this thread, why are we using examples with no pawns...

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
06 Dec 06
3 edits

But it didn't stop you posting your initial example.

My example was just a curious rarity where the rooks are protected but are badly placed. Sure, it has no practical value. But if practical value was the main theme of this thread, why are we using examples with no pawns...
Lets not split hairs. My initial example demonstrated the method in which 2 Rooks can force a win and is the sort of position that could occur in actual play and gives an example of the type of position the stronger player should aim for. Your example showed a loss in 1 move and showed the sort of position that would only occur at the end of a "forced" series of moves culminating in victory for the queen.

You may as well have posted this

White to move and win
Rooks beats Queen :'(

V

Moves
06 Dec 06

My example was Black to move (with legal moves possible) but White wins. None of your further example do this.

Read my note about not taking my example too seriously. What's your problem with that?

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
06 Dec 06

My example was Black to move (with legal moves possible) but White wins. None of your further example do this.

Read my note about not taking my example too seriously. What's your problem with that?
You are taking me too seriously now. 😉