Q for the Grob enthusiasts

Q for the Grob enthusiasts

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
09 May 07

Ok everything has been changed and I decided to change my mind and play as black.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07

Originally posted by ih8sens
Ok everything has been changed and I decided to change my mind and play as black.
I accepted.

b
Best Loser

Traxler is Sound!

Moves
09 May 07

Originally posted by Korch
I accepted.
haha Sweet.

Game 3537942

Why do I feel like I'm about to be humbled very quickly 😉?

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07

haha Sweet.

Game 3537942

At least you will see how white can play this opening.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
09 May 07

haha Sweet.

Game 3537942

Ah, I liked whites 9th move (Qb1) - its not something I have played before in the Grob but gives a whole lot of new fresh ideas.

1. g4 does not lose. The idea is to dominate the centre from the distance and threats along the a8-h1 diagonal can be serious for black.

You cannot refute a whole opening just because an engine assesses it as -0.25 after whites first move. Engines are not able to grasp the tactical nuances and invariably by move 10 engines typically have white +0.15 which is what you'd expect from any traditional opening.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
09 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
Ah, I liked whites 9th move (Qb1) - its not something I have played before in the Grob but gives a whole lot of new fresh ideas.

1. g4 does not lose. The idea is to dominate the centre from the distance and threats along the a8-h1 diagonal can be serious for black.

You cannot refute a whole opening just because an engine assesses it as -0.25 after ...[text shortened]... 10 engines typically have white +0.15 which is what you'd expect from any traditional opening.
After this game I`m gonna annotate it to explain some ideas of this opening.

p
chaotic patzer

Campinas, SP; Brazil

Moves
10 May 07

Originally posted by z00t
That's a mickey mouse opening simply put. I was never one to mince words so I've put it as nicely as possible.
Mickey Mouse? As in Disney? One of the most profitable, well known, best run brands in the World. Just draw a pair of Mouse ears and it is recognized around the world. Right up there with the "Coke" wave, the Golden arches, and the Nike swoosh. Ever been to Disney World in Orlando, where every tree was placed with a purpose and reason. Wow!!

(It just always bugged me that people use 'mickey mouse' to describe something as cheesy or shoddy when in fact it should be used as a way to praise)

RS

Under ur ChessBoard!

Moves
10 May 07

Originally posted by pawntorook4
Mickey Mouse? As in Disney? One of the most profitable, well known, best run brands in the World. Just draw a pair of Mouse ears and it is recognized around the world. Right up there with the "Coke" wave, the Golden arches, and the Nike swoosh. Ever been to Disney World in Orlando, where every tree was placed with a purpose and reason. Wow!!

(It ...[text shortened]... to describe something as cheesy or shoddy when in fact it should be used as a way to praise)
eh yeah right Disney is having a lot of problems lately, never been good since their deal with pixar fell through..they have a lot of people getting fired there...so when he says mickey mouse...in recent times it actually works... 😛

p
chaotic patzer

Campinas, SP; Brazil

Moves
10 May 07

Originally posted by Restless Soul
eh yeah right Disney is having a lot of problems lately, never been good since their deal with pixar fell through..they have a lot of people getting fired there...so when he says mickey mouse...in recent times it actually works... 😛
It all goes back to the Katzenberg split and the guy that died in the helicopter crash, forgot his name right now. Katzenberg felt he should have been up for a promotion, never got it, and split from Eisner. But still, that phrase has been used for a long time.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
10 May 07

After this game I`m gonna annotate it to explain some ideas of this opening.
Game is finished - Game 3537942. Annotation will follow on tomorrow evening or saturday.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
10 May 07

Game is finished - Game 3537942. Annotation will follow on tomorrow evening or saturday.
Nice concept. I still like the Qb1 move it was decisive at the end of the day.

d

Moves
10 May 07

Will you play me in a Grob?

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
10 May 07
1 edit

Originally posted by demonseed
Will you play me in a Grob?
No problem for me , but you are playing 6 games already and as you are not subscriber we need to wait, while you will finish at least one of your games.

d

Moves
11 May 07

No problem for me , but you are playing 6 games already and as you are not subscriber we need to wait, while you will finish at least one of your games.
I have a star, I can't be bothered with an avatar for the moment.

K
Chess Warrior

Riga

Moves
11 May 07

Originally posted by demonseed
I have a star, I can't be bothered with an avatar for the moment.
Change your settings - "This player is already playing their self imposed maximum concurrent games (8)"