American West
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 00:15
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Sevilla

Saveea.
    Suh Vee Yaa
    Vuh lay ho

Both are names of subdivisions in towns I lived in.
  2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 00:17
    Originally posted by joesheppe
    Folks,
    I was just watching a JRobi video on Youtube, and my ears went dead when he pronounced Najdorf as Nahjdorf. It is not that!
    It is correctly pronounced Nidorf, with a long i or eye sound. N eye dorf. A more pleasing sound, anyway.
    While we're at it. Alekhine is pronounced by Russians as Al eck in. There is no long i in that.
    Keres, I believe, i ...[text shortened]... elieve Armenians like to pronounce Aronian as Aroneon.
    Carlsen is, I think, Carlsen.
    heh.
    I have heard it pronounced Naj dorf, but most GMs I've heard speak say Ni dorf. 🙂
  3. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 00:33
    Folks,
    I was just watching a JRobi video on Youtube, and my ears went dead when he pronounced Najdorf as Nahjdorf. It is not that!
    It is correctly pronounced Nidorf, with a long i or eye sound. N eye dorf. A more pleasing sound, anyway.
    While we're at it. Alekhine is pronounced by Russians as Al eck in. There is no long i in that.
    Keres, I believe, i ...[text shortened]... elieve Armenians like to pronounce Aronian as Aroneon.
    Carlsen is, I think, Carlsen.
    heh.
    most of those are wrong. which doesn't really matter as long as you use something close enough to be understandable. just saying.

also, I'd try to NOT use english to convey any pronunciation advice, as its ortography is probably one of the most mangled when it comes to pronunciation. english letters are almost NEVER pronounced like the letters would indicate. which creates 99% of the pronunciation problems threads like these try to address.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 00:441 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

5. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 04:19
    Wormwood: if you so casually write that most of what I wrote is wrong, how about telling us the way they are "supposed to sound."
    And good luck with that.

Separately, some are still musing about Vallejo, but it is not pronounced as it would be in Mexico (or the U.S.).
    Spaniards say Va yeccho' accent on second syllable, which sounds like a softened, back of the throat version of yecko.

Interestingly, I believe that Argentinians would pronounce it Va yesho. For certain, bombilla down there is pronounced bombisha.
  6. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 04:28
    Wormwood: if you so casually write that most of what I wrote is wrong, how about telling us the way they are "supposed to sound."
    And good luck with that.

Separately, some are still musing about Vallejo, but it is not pronounced as it would be in Mexico (or the U.S.).
    Spaniards say Va yeccho' accent on second syllable, which sounds like a softened, ...[text shortened]... tinians would pronounce it Va yesho. For certain, bombilla down there is pronounced bombisha.
    Good point, my living in the Desert SW USA gives it a Mexican flavour.
    I guess it depends on who you ask, as to how it's pronounced.
  7. Wat?
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 05:35
    Sevillya, as it is said.

Please use King's Spanish -all.

Exactly as Vallyallyacho... with a spitting j for acho.

And that isn't valley valley acho, but val yal yejcho

I am not WRONG! 😛

-m.

Edit: How can I be wrong? This is a worded site with no talking permitted. 😀
  8. SubscriberC J Horse
    A stable personality
    Near my hay.
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 08:311 edit
    "Sevilla" in Spanish is more properly pronounced se-bee-lya, but you don't actually close your lips when forming the 'b' sound. It's a sound which doesn't really exist in standard spoken English.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 14:11
    And good luck with that.

Spaniards say Va yeccho' accent on second syllable, which sounds like a softened, ...[text shortened]... tinians would pronounce it Va yesho. For certain, bombilla down there is pronounced bombisha.
    as quick tips, there's no w in bacrot, the russian e starts with a j (which is NOT the first consonant in english 'jeep'😉, russian o turns into a before stressed syllable, spanish 'll' is jj, and... well, there were many other errors as well. lets just say your advice wasn't all that good and leave it at that, okay.
  10. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 14:24
    If you want to give a pronunciation of a word, use the IPA. It would be just as simple as that if this forum allowed unicode symbols. I can't even post my name here.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 14:28
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    yep, I'm finnish, I do know what our neighbouring countries and finnic languages are.
  12. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 14:29
    Originally posted by WanderingKing
    If you want to give a pronunciation of a word, use the IPA. It would be just as simple as that if this forum allowed unicode symbols. I can't even post my name here.
    exactly.
  13. Standard memberExuma
    Anansi
    Woodshed
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 14:56
    2 things I think.

1. It is good to learn how to correctly pronounce things.

2. It is good to pronounce them incorrectly if you don't know yet. Languages are learned by speaking them
  14. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 16:19
    Well, wormwood, you read it all very literally. That is, consistently, and that's understandable.
    I mixed some non-phonetic sounds in with the phonetic. The biggest example is Bareev. I am well aware that it actually sounds like Bar a' ev with a long a. In my original post, I only broke up the name for the proper syllable emphasis. My bad.

That first post wasn't entirely consistent. But I do believe that in no case did I deliberately misinform.
    Questions about any of them? Just ask.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Nov '11 21:11

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree