Problems that Chess Engines Can Not Solve

Problems that Chess Engines Can Not Solve

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Moves
17 May 08

Originally posted by petrovitch
About a month ago I was doing a post-game analysis with Crafty. When it got to the position where I executed a winning combination I was surprised that Crafty could not find the winning move. Crafty kept insisting on a move that drew instead.

Later, I saw in one of Alexandra Kostiniuk's podcasts in Chess Killer Tips where a simple mate in 2 was prese ...[text shortened]... Mate in 2 by Almira Skripchenko
"Fritz-10 cannot see the winning move."
www.chessqueen.com
I put Fritz 9 in full analysis and it found a couple of mates in less time than it took to take my hand off the mouse. The main line was mate in 4 bizarrely with the quicker mate a side variation.

d

Moves
17 May 08

It has an almost endless supply of options that other engines don't have -- or don't have published.
What are those supplies?

d

Moves
17 May 08
4 edits

Off topic, but I've never used ChessMaster, Rybka, and haven't had Fritz since the MS/DOS version. What features do any of these program has that are unique? Besides their rating -- I've read a lot about Rybka.

I've seen several games in pgn files that were annoFritzed. I assume this is similar to annotate or hannotate with Crafty?
you can do anything crafty does with them, only more and a lot better.

Rybka is known for being the best chess playing "entity" with a positional style, and it has a unique feature called randomizer. it's a little tough to explain, but it (the randomizer) is probably the best tool so far for analysing openings. you start from a position, then start the randomizing process, and in a few minutes, you have thousands of games played for each variation you like, of course in extremely small time controls. looking at the statistical results, that way you can have a pretty accurate assesement of opening positions or unclear positions in the middlegame or maybe even in the endgame.

rybka also has a seperate engine called winfinder spesifically for combinations and tactical analysis, which would probably solve almost all tricky problems that "engines cannot solve".

p

Moves
17 May 08
2 edits

This is one of the most difficult problems I've ever tried to solve. It's all about the gain in tempo with a pin. It came from a game between Fressinet - Kosteniuk, 2007. This position never actually occurred in the real game, but it was a possible variation.

Several chess engines can not find the solution to this problem. The solution is mate!

Black to move and win.

d

round and round

Moves
18 May 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
That's got to be a programming bug if Fritz 10 can't see it.

1.Re1! [zugzwang]
1...Bg2 2.Qh4#
1...B~ 2.Qg1#
1...Kxe1 2.Qd2#
A simple brute-force search should easily find this.

Edit: I just saw MadRook's post, and I think he has the answer. Fritz on "infinite analysis" does not always find the fastest mate. He is often content just t ...[text shortened]... at there [b]is
a forced mate and leave it at that. I have Fritz 9 and it does this too.[/b]
Allow a rookie a question? Where is the mate in 2 if :

1...Pf4 ?

s

Montgomery

Moves
18 May 08

Originally posted by dizzyfingers
Allow a rookie a question? Where is the mate in 2 if :

1...Pf4 ?
The black pawn is moving down the board...

d

round and round

Moves
18 May 08

Originally posted by strokem1
The black pawn is moving [b]down the board...[/b]
oh ...😳 thx, lol

v

Moves
18 May 08

[fen]5kN1/3p1q2/5P2/5PP1/2pK4/1p1R4/1P5/8[/fen]
after 1 minute my Fritz 10 find the solution to this 🙁

v

Moves
18 May 08

[fen]7r/p3k3/2p5/1pPp4/3P4/PP4P1/3P1PB1/2K5[/fen]

Didn't know you couldn't post more than one fen per message. 🙂
afte 5 minutes my Fritz 10 was not able to find solution to this problem 🙂...lol, even after playing something like 13 moves(not half moves!) deep in the position it still can not see the fortress and thinks black is winning and keeps shuffling pieces around 😛

p

Moves
18 May 08

This is one of the most difficult problems I've ever tried to solve. It's all about the gain in tempo with a pin. It came from a game between Fressinet - Kosteniuk, 2007. This position never actually occurred in the real game, but it was a possible variation.

Several chess engines can not find the solution to this problem. The solution is mate!

[fen]8/8/4k3/2b3p1/8/5RP1/r4P2/6K1[/fen]

Black to move and win.
It's so funny, Strelka stops processing after 16 ply because it has found a mate in 9. The only thing is that it's not a mate in 9. It also shows longer mates for other variations and these too are inaccurate.

Tolga II processes way beyond the number of moves required for mate and it never finds it. It's order of alternative moves is correct, but it's evaluation is inaccurate.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
18 May 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
That's got to be a programming bug if Fritz 10 can't see it.

1.Re1! [zugzwang]
1...Bg2 2.Qh4#
1...B~ 2.Qg1#
1...Kxe1 2.Qd2#
A simple brute-force search should easily find this.

Edit: I just saw MadRook's post, and I think he has the answer. Fritz on "infinite analysis" does not always find the fastest mate. He is often content just t ...[text shortened]... at there [b]is
a forced mate and leave it at that. I have Fritz 9 and it does this too.[/b]
There is also ..Qh4+ followed by ..Rg5#, but i prefer your's. 🙂

h

Moves
18 May 08
1 edit

Originally posted by Marinkatomb
There is also ..Qh4+ followed by ..Rg5#, but i prefer your's. 🙂
No, 1. Qh4+ Kg1 2. Rg6+ Bg2.

e4

Moves
19 May 08

In the original position if you put the White King on c1
then every engine I have tried including Fritz 6,7,8,9 find the
mate in two instantly - thery toil if the King goes to c3

STS

Moves
19 May 08

Does Fritz just find the mate in 4 in like, a nanosecond, and then stop thinking?

t

Moves
26 May 08
1 edit

how i can put a diagram?