Prima Donna Players

Prima Donna Players

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

London

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by spud2048
Your right and I do.

Its just entering tournaments you get to play lots of similar rated players and just 1 or 2 in the 1800 to 2000+ range (if your lucky).

It would be great if this site had someway of faciliting a tournment in some way that starts up with lots of lowly rated players playing highly rated, I don't know how it would work.

But I thin ...[text shortened]... e it as an unusual chatup line in a bar.

But my big mouth has deservadly blown that chance.
Maybe it's worth thinking about a longer term strategy for your chess development because you can learn from all your games - win or lose - whatever the rating of the opponent if you spend time going through them afterwards.

There is nothing to stop you playing through the games of any of the top rated players on this site or from tournaments around the world if you wish. Not as exciting as being in the game yourself I'll agree but still instructive. This will be a part of what the top players have done to get where they are.

The idea that playing against a top player would make you play your absolute best is a good one - but you could use this mindset to your advantage in any game.

Finally - talking about chess is not usually good "chat up" material ...get to know them a little first hey πŸ™‚πŸ™‚

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by DeepThought
I don't need more games against anyone who asks - sadly for my ego noone ever has.
It's not always a good thing! Some guy messaged me (not sure why, I'm a pretty average player) and asked me for a game and I said I was too busy. He then said that in his country I was what is known as a coward. I replied saying that in my country he would be called a fruit. That's pretty much how it ended.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
28 Mar 07

I get lots of PMs.

I just cannot play everyone.

My game load from tournaments and leagues in enormous and I am always finding I need to reduce them quickly so I can focus on quality rather than quantity.

The way I do this is to move very quickly against those weaker opponents I expect to beat quickly. Sometimes doing this means I make mistakes and lose to a 1500 player.

Such players are not getting my time or my best play. I am playing blitz and neither I nor my opponent benefits from that.

z

Moves
28 Mar 07

Your right and I do.

Its just entering tournaments you get to play lots of similar rated players and just 1 or 2 in the 1800 to 2000+ range (if your lucky).

It would be great if this site had someway of faciliting a tournment in some way that starts up with lots of lowly rated players playing highly rated, I don't know how it would work.

But I thin ...[text shortened]... e it as an unusual chatup line in a bar.

But my big mouth has deservadly blown that chance.
When entering tournaments, be sure to enter only unbandeds if you really want to play higher rated players. The splits which seem to pop up once a month usually have 3 or 4 1700+ players in them. I know thats not necessarily what your looking for, but it is quite a bit above where you are now which would either boost your rating or give you a valuable learning experience.

S

Moves
28 Mar 07

Perhaps if you lowered the ratings you'd get a better response.

there are plenty of players that are willing to teach (Rahim K being a rather "famous example"πŸ˜‰ but don't fit in the 2000+ rating critieria you've set.

maybe you should Pm a bunch of 1600-1900's...

if you get several games going, from several "teachers" you may find that you benifit far greater than from losing a single game to a 2000+

Dragon fire also raised another issue, because of the huge rating gap, many 2000 guys probably won't play full-strength anyway.

whereas, if the ratings were closer, then they may take you more seroiusally, analyze the game more themselves and therefore be able to make more informative coments...

s
Rooney 8

LA

Moves
28 Mar 07

Originally posted by Mahout
Maybe it's worth thinking about a longer term strategy for your chess development because you can learn from all your games - win or lose - whatever the rating of the opponent if you spend time going through them afterwards.

There is nothing to stop you playing through the games of any of the top rated players on this site or from tournaments around the w ...[text shortened]... out chess is not usually good "chat up" material ...get to know them a little first hey πŸ™‚πŸ™‚
I do study most of my games and I think its the best way to learn because you understand exactly why you made your move and therefore it gives you a much greater understanding of your failings in the game.

Playing 1900 players, I can draw against them occasionally but the difference in play between a 1900 to 2100 is enormous (from my limited experience they play completely differently) and I would imagine the same can be said for the gap from a 2100 to 2300 player.

Maybe I should get hold of a copy of fritz and study games I play against it, seems a bit dull though.

As for the "chat up" comment, I'm half joking and half serious.
I'm talking about chatting up model types in Hollywood.
To do that you need to make an impression and the following helps alot, its worth the effort:-
- european accent
- money
- flash car
- Be able to name drop people

So I wouldn't be talking too much about chess but she may have heard the name Kasparov.
It may sound sad, but don't knock it until you've experienced it😲

London

Moves
28 Mar 07

I do study most of my games and I think its the best way to learn because you understand exactly why you made your move and therefore it gives you a much greater understanding of your failings in the game.

Playing 1900 players, I can draw against them occasionally but the difference in play between a 1900 to 2100 is enormous (from my limited experience t ...[text shortened]... rd the name Kasparov.
It may sound sad, but don't knock it until you've experienced it😲
Nice one: well my chances of successfully chatting up a model in Hollywood and scoring against a 2000+ player are about the same - zero. So good luck with both quests!

IC

Moves
29 Mar 07

It seems to me that there are some players over the 2000 rating that act like prima donnas on this site

Lets say you send a player ranked 26th for instance on this site a pm asking for a game, and saying in the message no problem if you are too busy (it can be rated/unrated, you set the time scale) etc...

If they ignore the pm, without even the courts ...[text shortened]... re so good at chess you are probably in lower end of the top 10000 players in the world.
Player has lost all interest in site.

EP6
Soul Taker

Tionesta

Moves
29 Mar 07

I don't understand your passion to play higher rated players. Buy an electronic chess game and play a flawless machine. Just because its an electric opponent, the quality of the play is the best. Make it a point to really make your best effort to win tour games and you will build the points to play these Brahmans you so envy. Give it a try and good luck. I really wish you the best, but enjoy the play you get and the people willing to feel inadequate. (smile)