Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rg
ray george

auckland

Moves
15 Apr 17
1 edit

Can anyone explain how points are awarded/deducted? In eight games this month I have won 4 for 38 points, lost 4 for 86 points.

Über-Nerd

Moves
15 Apr 17

There is a formula. It is explained in the FAQ page.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
15 Apr 17
1 edit

Originally posted by ray george
Can anyone explain how points are awarded/deducted? In eight games this month I have won 4 for 38 points, lost 4 for 86 points.
The FAQ gives the formula, but the gist of it is that you get more points for winning, the more highly rated your opponent is, and also lose less points for losing, the more highly rated your opponent is.

E

Moves
16 Apr 17

Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
The FAQ gives the formula, but the gist of it is that you get more points for winning, the more highly rated your opponent is, and also lose less points for losing, the more highly rated your opponent is.
In other words....

If you lose to a lower rated player than yourself you lose a bunch of points.

If you lose to a player higher rated than yourself you lose a few points. You should have lost.

If you beat a lower rated player, congrats you beat someone you should have beaten. You don't get many points.

If you beat a higher rated player, you pick up more points. You won even though you should have lost.

The greater the gap the more severe the result, either few points or more points.

Über-Nerd

Moves
16 Apr 17

Originally posted by Eladar
In other words....

If you lose to a lower rated player than yourself you lose a bunch of points.

If you lose to a player higher rated than yourself you lose a few points. You should have lost.

If you beat a lower rated player, congrats you beat someone you should have beaten. You don't get many points.

If you beat a higher rated player, you pick u ...[text shortened]... ave lost.

The greater the gap the more severe the result, either few points or more points.
PS, there is a maximum number of points you can pick up or drop on any one game, and the formula is different during the first 20 games (provisional rating period).

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
20 Apr 17

Originally posted by ray george
You asked the same question in January and February!

The answer remains the same.