"please don't time me out"

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mozart

liverpool

Moves
23 Sep 12

Thanks for your reply..Its certainly got us all debating the issue.

rain

Moves
23 Sep 12

Honestly, the timebank system gives players an incredible amount of time (three days to play, plus seven total days of extention, with another three days to play after you make a move). If you're still timing out, then you're wasting the other player's time.

Ro

Moves
24 Sep 12

Originally posted by steve45
Time for the management to look at the situation. Thanks for your reply.
Indeed. They should average out the length of time a player takes to click a skull and then post the lowest on a 'name and shame' table.

πŸ˜‰

Ro

Moves
24 Sep 12

Originally posted by vivify
Honestly, the timebank system gives players an incredible amount of time (three days to play, plus seven total days of extention, with another three days to play after you make a move). If you're still timing out, then you're wasting the other player's time.
Not always.

Ro

Moves
24 Sep 12

Originally posted by greenpawn34

"No! You ruined the interesting game by not making your moves on time."
I don't believe that anyone's game on a site like this is ruined if someone plays the odd move a few hour's late. As I said, in my case, I did not ruin the game. My position was unavoidable and completely unexpected. I think it is the only game I have been timed out on.

You are also suggesting that I ruined a game by virtue of an action that you did. An action which you were not required to do, and which is discouraged by the site you are using. And one which you apparently did not particularly like or want to do, and which prevented you continuing a game you were enjoying.

This is probably why I have never gone to a chess club.

πŸ˜‰

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Sep 12

Originally posted by Rank outsider
I don't believe that anyone's game on a site like this is ruined if someone plays the odd move a few hour's late. As I said, in my case, I did not ruin the game. My position was unavoidable and completely unexpected. I think it is the only game I have been timed out on.

You are also suggesting that I ruined a game by virtue of an action that you ...[text shortened]... ng a game you were enjoying.

This is probably why I have never gone to a chess club.

πŸ˜‰
If you both agree that the game was interesting, you may continue it as an unrated set-piece game, despite the timeout. OTB, there is always the post-mortem.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
24 Sep 12

Just started a series of 1/0 games. I'd like to say for the record that if I get skulled by a 1200 (or anyone for that matter) for any reason, it is my own fault.

Ratings be damned, those are the rules.

MS

Under Cover

Moves
24 Sep 12
1 edit

This was an accidental double post, sorry.

Moves
25 Sep 12

Would you claim a correspondence chess victory if there was a postal strike?
Depends on the rules of the competition. A friendly game, no, probably not, because the strike is provably beyond my opponent's control. Unless he's a postie, of course!

Looking at the OP, you have one of a number of choices, assuming you have no other evidence of motive:

Ho-hum. IMAO, in such matters, a lack of evidence of motive is strong evidence for a lack of motive. If he did have a good reason for me not to time him out, he'd have given it.

Richard

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by steve45
Im fairly new to RHP, and i just want to know this. If your opponent runs out of time, but still gets back to the game before i do an makes a move, that means ive lost my option of claiming a scull. No one likes winning by timeout, but by the rules of chess, surely that cant be right. If ive got that wrong, could sumone correct me on the timeout rule.

cheers friends

steve
No, that's quite right. It's quite right in OTB chess, too. If you fail to spot that your opponent's flag has fallen (and so does the ref), and you let him mate you even with his flag hanging down, AFAICT the mate stands and the flag is ignored.

Richard

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
No, that's quite right. It's quite right in OTB chess, too. If you fail to spot that your opponent's flag has fallen (and so does the ref), and you let him mate you even with his flag hanging down, AFAICT the mate stands and the flag is ignored.

Richard
That's what would happen in a USCF event. You must call the flag before the mating piece is released, or you lose.

Mozart

liverpool

Moves
25 Sep 12

Originally posted by Shallow Blue

Richard
Thanks Richard, i must admit to not knowing that was the rule in OTB chess. I thought it was automatic timeout at the highest level. So to be fair to RHP, there only going along with the standard rule.

Thanks again Richard for the info.

Steve

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
29 Sep 12
1 edit

Indeed. They should average out the length of time a player takes to click a skull and then post the lowest on a 'name and shame' table.

πŸ˜‰
That's just the kind of incentive that might get me playing again. I could hit the top of the list of 'most ruthless skull crunchers'. How awesome would that be?! πŸ™‚

Ro

Moves
29 Sep 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
That's just the kind of incentive that might get me playing again
Nice to know that my time on this planet has not been completely wasted.

πŸ™‚