players messaging you during games...

players messaging you during games...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

e

Moves
29 Apr 07
1 edit

a player is messaging me, telling me its time i should retire and i'm drawing the game out (i have moved at least two times a day during this game), he is also being abusive.... can i report this behaviour?

aw
Baby Gauss

Ceres

Moves
29 Apr 07
1 edit

Originally posted by eatmybishop
a player is messaging me, telling me its time i should retire and i'm drawing the game out (i have moved at least two times a day during this game), he is also being abusive.... can i report this behaviour?
Yes. And you can put him on your ignore list too. That way you won't receive any of his messages during the game.

B

Moves
29 Apr 07

If it's your game against bilipiton that you're refering to, you most definitley are drawing the game out.

e

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by B52EWO
If it's your game against bilipiton that you're refering to, you most definitley are drawing the game out.
but that doesnt excuse abusive behaviour... i'm still moving at least two times a day, also, why shouldnt i carry on? players make mistakes... i once played someone who had a queen left and i was left with just a pawn, he made a mistake with the queen, my king took it and my pawn was eventually promoted to a queen... you give up too easily..!

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by B52EWO
NO!

NO!

NO!

It is up to biipiton to finish the game. Prove this user can mate. Once the trap is set and there is 3 or so moves to mate forced, the game is over. Not a move sooner.

It is ridiculous for a user to scream they've won when they need to force a mate in this game.

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by eatmybishop
but that doesnt excuse abusive behaviour... i'm still moving at least two times a day, also, why shouldnt i carry on? players make mistakes... i once played someone who had a queen left and i was left with just a pawn, he made a mistake with the queen, my king took it and my pawn was eventually promoted to a queen... you give up too easily..!
This could easy go stale if the user doesn't play right. You play as long as you like.

P-

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Apr 07

The game in question is in progress so we shouldn't comment on it.

I had a player hinting that I should resign on the grounds that neither of us had a chance of progressing to the next round - something which I didn't think was likely for me when I saw the list of oppenents I had in the tournament in the first place - and I wasn't going to resign all my games at the start soley on the grounds of that! I was worse to losing although I thought it might be possible to draw, and frankly had every right to find out. This irritated the heck out of me, as it wasn't that clear that I couldn't get a draw if I got it right. I should point out that he didn't resort to abuse, just hinted once or twice - this didn't stop it annoying me.

It is entirely up to you when to resign, provided you move frequently then it's not completely unreasonable not to. Although bear in mind that non-subscribers are limited to 6 games so he may want to start a new one. Having said that, in general I would recommend that you don't play on in games where there is no way of making it difficult for your opponent to win.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Apr 07

One more thing to consider in this situation is this.

If the player with an advantage wants to message his idea how he's going to win, and can prove it with a chess line or explaining it in layman's terms, the user should resign. The way ratings work is resigning a lost game now is better than drawing out a lost game.

You don't badger someone to quit without showing them HOW you will finally win. Perhaps even showing them HOW you will win is not enough, if they see a flaw in the opponent's play.

Your rating is always better off to resign a lost game, but it is up to the other user to prove the game is lost if they feel so strongly about it. Even then, the player can play on if they like. It only hurts their own rating to put off the inevitable.

P-

d

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit

If the player with an advantage wants to message his idea how he's going to win, and can prove it with a chess line or explaining it in layman's terms, the user should resign. The way ratings work is resigning a lost game now is better than drawing out a lost game.

You don't badger someone to qui ...[text shortened]... r can play on if they like. It only hurts their own rating to put off the inevitable.

P-
Can you please explain why resigning quickly hurts your rating less than dragging it out?

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by DeepThought
The game in question is [b]in progress so we shouldn't comment on it.

I had a player hinting that I should resign on the grounds that neither of us had a chance of progressing to the next round - something which I didn't think was likely for me when I saw the list of oppenents I had in the tournament in the first place - and I wasn't going to resi ...[text shortened]... play on in games where there is no way of making it difficult for your opponent to win.[/b]
If someone is worried they only have 6 games, that is their problem. They could have more if they want to be a paying member. 6 game limit is no excuse to rush someone or harass a user who is in the position of the game shown.

I agree nothing more should be said about a game in progress, but I don't think I've said anything this player doesn't already know. They would have resigned by now if they DID think the game was over.

P-

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Apr 07
1 edit

Originally posted by d36366
Can you please explain why resigning quickly hurts your rating less than dragging it out?
You read it wrong... or perhaps I wasn't clear.

resigning a lost game HELPS your rating. If you draw it out, and win a couple more games in the meantime... you lose more points when you finally do resign.

I'll read what I wrote and see if I miss-spoke.

P-

I wrote it right, give it another read.

C

Moves
29 Apr 07

Originally posted by Phlabibit

You don't badger someone to qui ...[text shortened]... r can play on if they like. It only hurts their own rating to put off the inevitable.

P-
Just to clarify a point - rating changes are calculated on win/draw/loss. The change due to resignation is precisely the same as that due to mate.

e

Moves
29 Apr 07
2 edits

okay, thanks for the help - i've since messaged the player explaining to him the only time i will retire is an avoidable check mate or i have no pieces left and no pawns to promote;

i actually like playing a player who refuses to quit, refuses to surrender, i've found that gives me a lot of respect for my opponent; the way i see it is if i only have one pawn left, that pawn could be a queen, and that queen could be a match winner

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
29 Apr 07
2 edits

Originally posted by CauselessOne
Just to clarify a point - rating changes are calculated on win/draw/loss. The change due to resignation is precisely the same as that due to mate.
Yeah.... I know. What does that have to do with what I've said?

P-

Take an example of 10 games. You'll need to know how to calculate ratings. See the FAQ

Now. Consider one game lost, and 9 games won.

Resign the lost game, and figure your rating after 9 more won.

Now, Win the 9 games... and resign the last game you were dragging out.

Notice a difference in rating?

F

Moves
29 Apr 07

When my opponent give me remarks I don't like, then I tell him politely to stop it. If he continue I let him know that I'll put him in my ignore list. If he still doesn't stop I put him there and I don't have to handle the problem anymore.

Thanks god (or Russ) for the Ignore List.