Over and underrated

Over and underrated

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
08 Jan 14

What is the most over and underrated chess openings in your opinion?

I wouldn't really know myself because I am not a good player to determine, but for me 1.b4 as under and the Sicilian Dragon as over.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
08 Jan 14

Originally posted by RBHILL

I wouldn't really know myself because I am not a good player to determine, but for me 1.b4 as under and the Sicilian Dragon as over.
Don't sell yourself short RB. You're a good enough player and you've been around long enough to know what you like etc.
I disagree about the Dragon. I played it for years, both sides, and still to this day will play the black side from time to time. But considering I've switched to predominately playing the Najdorf perhaps I should agree with you. Sac sac mate is what Fischer is supposed to have thought of the Dragon, so you're in good company chess wise indeed.

Myself I think the Caro Kann is suspect, and the French a tough nut to crack.

R
Acts 13:48

California

Moves
08 Jan 14
2 edits

Originally posted by ChessPraxis
Don't sell yourself short RB. You're a good enough player and you've been around long enough to know what you like etc.
I disagree about the Dragon. I played it for years, both sides, and still to this day will play the black side from time to time. But considering I've switched to predominately playing the Najdorf perhaps I should agree with you. Sac ...[text shortened]... s wise indeed.

Myself I think the Caro Kann is suspect, and the French a tough nut to crack.
Cool, but after this move, I am a horrible player. Moving to fast.

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardanalysis.php?gameid=10350336&cbqsid=26502

And this one too: http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=10409734&cbqsid=22664

I should of moved the white square bishop.

chemist

Linkenheim

Moves
08 Jan 14
1 edit

http://www.redhotpawn.com/gameanalysis/boardanalysis.php?gameid=10350336&cbqsid=26502

And this one too: http://www.redhotpawn.com/core/playchess.php?gameid=10409734&cbqsid=22664

Game 10350336
Game 10409734

The games in question.

if you use the [ gid ]game#[ /gid ] marker (without the blanks) it's more comfortable for people to look up your game.

Moves
09 Jan 14

I don't think openings make that much difference at our level. A top player could play the nicely named 'Sodium' opening (1. Na3) and still destroy most opponents without breaking a sweat.

Choose an opening that results in the kind of middle games you like, don't worry if it's sound at GM level.

Über-Nerd

Moves
09 Jan 14

1.b4 is playable. I have dabbled with it myself, and it's always good for a surprise at blitz.

rc

Moves
10 Jan 14
1 edit

Colle is the most underrated, Scicilian defences to the king pawn the most overrated.

rc

Moves
10 Jan 14

You must play something you believe in. Magnus Carlsen has proven once for all time that openings are irrelevant, even at Grandmaster level.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
10 Jan 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Magnus Carlsen has proven once for all time that openings are irrelevant, even at Grandmaster level.
Huh? How'd he do that?

rc

Moves
11 Jan 14
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Huh? How'd he do that?
did you follow the last world championship? Carlsen is notorious for getting practically nothing from the opening and in many instances a slightly inferior position.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Jan 14

did you follow the last world championship? Carlsen is notorious for getting practically nothing from the opening and in many instances a slightly inferior position.
Yeah, but it's not like he started busting out the Grob or Naka's 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5. He played normal openings.

rc

Moves
11 Jan 14

Yeah, but it's not like he started busting out the Grob or Naka's 1.e4 e5 2.Qh5. He played normal openings.
Sure he played normal openings as black but he could have played the KIA against everything that Anand had to offer and could still have won.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
11 Jan 14

Sure he played normal openings as black but he could have played the KIA against everything that Anand had to offer and could still have won.
The two times he played Nf3 / g3 formations led to 1) a boring 16 move draw and 2) a game Anand almost won (Carlsen's Q got pushed to h1). If he had played that any more than 2 games he would have won by less of a margin, or even not at all.

rc

Moves
11 Jan 14

The two times he played Nf3 / g3 formations led to 1) a boring 16 move draw and 2) a game Anand almost won (Carlsen's Q got pushed to h1). If he had played that any more than 2 games he would have won by less of a margin, or even not at all.
Dude he doesn't do openings and he is world champion, he does endgame's though! Anand does openings and he's not world champion!

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
12 Jan 14

Dude he doesn't do openings and he is world champion, he does endgame's though! Anand does openings and he's not world champion!
Everyone "does" openings. 😕