1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    07 Nov '19 10:052 edits
    Though I'm a bit apprehensive about sitting in a tournament hall with 80% of the players young enough to be my grandchildren, I'm going to reenter OTB chess next spring after 2+ decades. I'll be ordering a tactics book or 2, some Informants, Chessmaster GM edition as a practice partner, and a digital clock (so I don't come across like some geriatric hippie) an hour or so a day of study and 3-4 practice games against CM a week for the next few months should save me from total embarrassment. Any other preparation suggestions would be welcome. πŸ™‚
  2. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    07 Nov '19 13:01
    @mchill said
    Though I'm a bit apprehensive about sitting in a tournament hall with 80% of the players young enough to be my grandchildren, I'm going to reenter OTB chess next spring after 2+ decades. I'll be ordering a tactics book or 2, some Informants, Chessmaster GM edition as a practice partner, and a digital clock (so I don't come across like some geriatric hippie) an hour or so a day ...[text shortened]... nths should save me from total embarrassment. Any other preparation suggestions would be welcome. πŸ™‚
    @mchill My only advice would be don't underestimate how tiring it is to play a lot of chess in a short time. I don't know whether you will play multiple games in a day, but stamina is really a huge factor in such circumstances. If you want to take it seriously, and clearly you have a plan which looks pretty good to me, my only suggestion would be don't neglect physical fitness. Those kids you are playing will be fine playing 9 hrs of chess.

One other thing, when to take a bye. In the UK it is common to have a 5 round tournament with three games on a Saturday, two on a Sunday. A lot of players play the first two rounds and take a bye in the third. Pro tip, if you are planning to take one, take it in the first round instead. You arrive fresher as you can have a lie in and all the people you are likely to play in the third round will have exerted themselves in two rounds already, so you can benefit from their tiredness. πŸ˜‰
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Nov '19 20:34
    @mchill

Get plenty of sleep.

Hydrate.

Take care of your body.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    09 Nov '19 10:37
    @moonbus said
    @mchill

Get plenty of sleep.

Hydrate.

Take care of your body.
    Marinkatomb and moonbus - Thank You. Good advise. πŸ™‚
  5. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    09 Nov '19 11:47
    @moonbus said
    @mchill

Get plenty of sleep.

Hydrate.

Take care of your body.
    This has been my primary OTB Tournament weakness.
    I was in denial. I couldn't face being older and no longer physically fit for chess. I'd zoom through the first round confidently, fueled by hope and caffeine, only to crash in the 2nd or third...usually to a child hopped-up on youth! πŸ˜€
  6. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    09 Nov '19 13:441 edit
    Getting a really good night's sleep is the most important thing. Between rounds, go for a walk outside to get some fresh air. If the tournament is over more than one day then try to get a proper sleep in the in-between days as well, and if taking a half point bye is an option, then consider taking one to avoid a possible late finish. I used to have a really good tournament record in my younger days, winning just under half of all those I entered.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '19
    Moves
    11 Nov '19 20:491 edit
    Another big change in the last 20 years is openings such as the London System (also Colle) will be played constantly, it will essentially be the main line for all amateurs to face.
  8. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Nov '19 22:04
    @mchill said
    Chessmaster GM edition as a practice partner,
    Chessmater is fun to play against at the lower levels. It will drop a piece early on, and then suddenly up its game make strong moves. It can be very frustrating as you feel you should be winning but any mistake is punished. So it's good practice!

Also be sure to watch your clock, especially if you are mainly used to playing here. I still struggle with that after 3-4 years of OTB.
  9. Joined
    09 Jul '16
    Moves
    11 Nov '19 23:10
    @CircusGrob
    Pah! Just play some sort of Kings Indian against the Colle / London System. That sort of player crumbles when your d-pawn goes to d6 instead of d5.
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '19
    Moves
    11 Nov '19 23:59
    @mynameisklint said
    @CircusGrob
    Pah! Just play some sort of Kings Indian against the Colle / London System. That sort of player crumbles when your d-pawn goes to d6 instead of d5.
    Yeah, if you are naturally a ...g6 player of some kind (like I am πŸ™‚ ) then there is nothing to worry about, but Nimzo players need to think of a response.
  11. Joined
    12 Nov '19
    Moves
    13 Nov '19 04:05
    I'm returning to otb chess this spring after 10 years of internet chess so I'm going over master games with an actual chess set and I'm also setting up my internet chess games on my chess set before I figure out my next move so I get used to using a real chess set again.

I always had a problem sleeping at the weekend tournaments and my chess suffered from that so I'll have to figure that one out eventually.

Good luck to ya!
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '19
    Moves
    13 Nov '19 23:45
    Odds are I will be also making a return to tourney play in early 2020. I will wait to see what time control (probably bad) it is before I change my study.
  13. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    14 Nov '19 15:212 edits
    This involved using a computer and database, but I think you might be able to do it entirely online.

Make a database or collect a list of games of World Champions playing simultaneous exhibition games (simuls). Play through the games casually, and attempt to identify critical moments, what the mistakes were, and how the World Champion took advantage of them. Amateurs will play the same mistakes against you, and you just have to recognize them. Easier said than done, but the Champs will show you the way!

There are great lessons to be learned from watching World Champions beat amateurs in a simul.

I think it would make a great book- sort of a sequel to Euwe's Grandmaster vs Amateur book.

2nd Idea: Find World Champion games in a database, and look at how they beat their lowest-rated opponents. Start with the lowest-rated opponent, and work your way up!

The bottom line is that they win by identifying and capitalizing on mistakes. See what they identify, and how they exploit it, and then reflect and apply. Repeat as needed!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree