Openings

Openings

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixer

Detroit

Moves
25 May 07

I am just getting back to the game after 20 year leave.

I have just played a few games, and it is obvious that my complete lack of formal training is causing some problems at the beginning of most matches.

My method is to just get my guys out into the middle of the board and attack. But it seems better players are really pinning me down at the beginning and I am spending most of the match fighting to get out into the board.

My question is this:

What books or web resource could I go to to get some education on openings?

Or do I just need to keep getting punched in the chops and learn to protect myself better?

c
¯\_(^.^)_/¯

Moves
25 May 07

Originally posted by 8D

I have just played a few games, and it is obvious that my complete lack of formal training is causing some problems at the beginning of most matches.

My method is to just get my guys out into the middle of the board and attack. But it seems better players are really pinning me down at the beginning and ...[text shortened]... s?

Or do I just need to keep getting punched in the chops and learn to protect myself better?
http://www.timeforchess.com/gamesexplorer/

P

Moves
25 May 07

You could use the following for the first few moves:

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/explorer

I'm sure there are others websites too.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
25 May 07

Online databases:
www.chesslive.de
www.redhotpawn.com/gamesexplorer

Teaching resources:
www.chessville.com
www.exeterchessclub.org.uk/

Fixer

Detroit

Moves
25 May 07

Wow.

That is a pretty cool site.

Thanks.

Any titles of books out there?

F
Love thy bobblehead

Moves
25 May 07

Yasser Seirawan's Winning Chess Openings is an excellent primer. Not overly complex and written for the beginner/lay reader.

C

EDMONTON ALBERTA

Moves
25 May 07

Also, you can just type the move order into google and it usually brings something up... like "1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5" search for that, and you will get a bunch of stuff about that opening.

k

washington

Moves
25 May 07

yasser seriwans winning chess openings is a decent book on openings. it explains some principles opposed to mco i dont like mco too much money for not enough information. heres a few things to go by knights before bishops develope knights to the center Nf3 and Nc3. don't move king pawns unless necessary you almost never move h3 until the 8th move in the ruy lopez. castle early develope rooks to the center of the board d and e files. push pawns up to open the center when the time is right. these are brief guiedlines but looking at your games it would do a lot better than playing moves like h3 early and playing f3 weakening your king position and taking away a place for your knight to go to.

Z8

Moves
25 May 07

Originally posted by 8D

My method is to just get my guys out into the middle of the board and attack. But it seems better players are really pinning me down at the beginning and ...[text shortened]... s?

I would recommend you to buy MCO (Modern Chess Openings). It covers all the openings extensively enough to get a good feel for them. It's more of a nice database then a learning tool. I would strongly advise you to pick up another source to supplement it. I personally believe the best way to understand the opening at a novice level (1000-1500 USCF elo) is to learn the middlegame concepts. The Amateurs Mind by Jeremy Silman was my find strategy book and it helped tremendously. You will have a good base of understanding concerning strategy that will help illuminate MCO. For what it's worth.

FL

over there

Moves
26 May 07

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Chess_openings

It gives background on most of the openings.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
26 May 07

Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Chess_openings

It gives background on most of the openings.
Yeah, that's what I use pretty often.

k

washington

Moves
27 May 07

i like chessgames.com i can study various ways to go about certain openings.

b

Moves
27 May 07

Originally posted by kmac27
i like chessgames.com i can study various ways to go about certain openings.
I used chessgames.com extensively until I discovered Shredder, which is definitely a step up. http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database.html

k

washington

Moves
27 May 07

i don't like shredder it doesn't have as mnay games.

b

Moves
27 May 07

Originally posted by kmac27
i don't like shredder it doesn't have as mnay games.
When I wrote that Shredder is a step up from Chessgames, I should have added, IMO. Ddifferent strokes . . .