opening moves again!

opening moves again!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
13 Feb 09

If you could make first half a dozen or so moves to have central control without your opponent moving,what would they be ?

g

Moves
13 Feb 09

Originally posted by odoodsdudes
If you could make first half a dozen or so moves to have central control without your opponent moving,what would they be ?
1 e4
2 Bc4
3 Qf3
4 Qxf7#

If I was restricted to not moving any pieces beyond the fourth rank in this exercise, I'd play:

1 d4
2 e4
3 Nc3
4 Nf3
5 Bc4
6 Bf4

All of the minor pieces and the two central pawns are either occupying or contolling the four center squares. Plus, I'm ready to castle.

I like my position a lot, but I'd still lose to a master from this position. 🙁

BS

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by gaychessplayer
1 e4
2 Bc4
3 Qf3
4 Qxf7#

If I was restricted to not moving any pieces beyond the fourth rank in this exercise, I'd play:

1 d4
2 e4
3 Nc3
4 Nf3
5 Bc4
6 Bf4

All of the minor pieces and the two central pawns are either occupying or contolling the four center squares. Plus, I'm ready to castle.

I like my position a lot, but I'd still lose to a master from this position. 🙁
If you play patiently i.e not rush in like a fool and play the board and not the person, I believe it will not be easy to beat you.

M

Moves
17 Feb 09

I agree - with this kind of a headstart, a 1500 probably beats a master

this would be an interesting way to handicap chess games -- for every difference of (say 300) rating points, you give the underdog an extra move to start the game (with no piece allowed past the 4th rank).

It would be interesting to see how many moves it would actually take to provide an equal game between say a 2500 and a 1500.

g

Moves
17 Feb 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes

this would be an interesting way to handicap chess games -- for every difference of (say 300) rating points, you give the underdog an extra move to start the game (with no piece allowed past the 4th rank).

It would be interesting to see how many moves it would actually take to provide an equal game between say a 2500 and a 1500.
That would be an interesting experiment.

T

Moves
18 Feb 09

When I play against certain friends or family members, who do not study chess, I always give them "odds." Sometimes, I play down one pawn, or give up the first move or two. However, I found the greatest handicap is time; 30 minutes to 10 minutes, an example, for an entire game will shift the balance considerably. Actually, it can be quite fun to play in this manner and I suggest it to you all.

c
Grammar Nazi

Auschwitz

Moves
18 Feb 09

I'm not sure how many moves it takes, but I'm know that you can go to such a position where white has a forced mate, even if you cannot go past the forth rank.

g

Moves
18 Feb 09

Originally posted by clandarkfire
I'm not sure how many moves it takes, but I'm know that you can go to such a position where white has a forced mate, even if you cannot go past the forth rank.
IIRC, Reuben Fine in his Chess the Easy Way actually showed a position that you're describing. I have the book somewhere, so I'll post the position sometime.

r
the walrus

an English garden

Moves
18 Feb 09

Originally posted by Melanerpes

Have you ever played a master OTB? It is freakin' scary how much better at chess they are than you or I. I seriously doubt that a 1500 would score over 25% against a 2200 in this situation.

g

Moves
19 Feb 09

Originally posted by randolph
Have you ever played a master OTB? It is freakin' scary how much better at chess they are than you or I. I seriously doubt that a 1500 would score over 25% against a 2200 in this situation.
I think you're correct about this. In fact, I don't think that an average 1500-player would even score 10% in this situation.

Moves
19 Feb 09

What would a grand master's rating be on rhp?

t

Moves
19 Feb 09

lower than the engines...

r
the walrus

an English garden

Moves
19 Feb 09

Originally posted by tamuzi
lower than the engines...
not if they actually put time and effort into their moves