Olympiad & World Championships

Olympiad & World Championships

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Georgia, USA

Moves
21 Dec 08

I'm sorting through some of the websites that deal with world championship level chess. I see references to "Olympiads" like the one in Dresden, Germany recently in November.

Here are my questions for any informed person to answer:
1) Are Olympiads once every four years - like the OlymPICS?
2) Are Olympiads where the next challenger to the world champion is determined? Is it where the title is defended? Both?
3) How often is the title defended? I once saw a special on tv about Fischer that indicated there was a set 3 year rotation, but now my understanding is that it's done irregularly - every 2 or 3 years depending on various factors.

R
Godless Commie

Glasgow

Moves
21 Dec 08

Originally posted by CamelClutch
I'm sorting through some of the websites that deal with world championship level chess. I see references to "Olympiads" like the one in Dresden, Germany recently in November.

Here are my questions for any informed person to answer:
1) Are Olympiads once every four years - like the OlymPICS?
2) Are Olympiads where the next challenger to the world cha ...[text shortened]... derstanding is that it's done irregularly - every 2 or 3 years depending on various factors.
The olympiads are team events. They've no connection at all with the world championships.

z

Moves
21 Dec 08

Originally posted by Redmike
The olympiads are team events. They've no connection at all with the world championships.
the teams are countries, and the event happens every 2 years.

r
the walrus

an English garden

Moves
22 Dec 08

the title is defended whenever Kirsan Ilyumzhinov thinks it should be

Moves
22 Dec 08

henrique mecking is playing in corus.
a blast from the past.

p
Highlander

SEAsia

Moves
22 Dec 08

Originally posted by tonytiger41
henrique mecking is playing in corus.
a blast from the past.
He used to play quite a bit on ICC, maybe still does. Spent his time beating up the young pups like Nigal Short ect.
😀

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
22 Dec 08

Originally posted by randolph
the title is defended whenever Kirsan Ilyumzhinov thinks it should be
So true.