New Fischer?

New Fischer?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The RudeΒ©

who knows?

Moves
27 Dec 05

Originally posted by powershaker
He's still not American by blood. Let's face it. Of course, I - myself - am only a fourth generation American, being my forefathers beyond that were from Wales, Ireland and Scotland. I'm a mut that way. But, that's closer to be an American than Nakamura who is Japanese and maybe 1 generation American?
So what?
Is a so great problem for you if he has american citizenship even if he was not born in the U.S.A.?

T

Moves
28 Dec 05

Originally posted by masscat
There was difference between Fischer and these new guys: Fischer totally dominated American chess. NONE of these new players dominate like he did. It's a function of numbers. In Fischer's early days there were only about 5000 USCF members and about 100 Int'l Grandmasters. Now, with the tremendous increase in players, it is almost impossible to dominate t ...[text shortened]... ischer did. In Fischer's day there was only about 25-30 players rated over 2400 in the U.S.
And yet Kasparov had no problem dominating the world until quite recently.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
28 Dec 05

He's still not American by blood. Let's face it. Of course, I - myself - am only a fourth generation American, being my forefathers beyond that were from Wales, Ireland and Scotland. I'm a mut that way. But, that's closer to be an American than Nakamura who is Japanese and maybe 1 generation American?
Most Issei are far more American than fourth generation Welsh, Irish, and Scottish because consent is far stronger than descent.

If Tashunca-uitco had played chess, there would have been a truly American GM. In his absence, Nakamura is as American as any others.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
28 Dec 05
2 edits

Originally posted by Ravello
So what?
Is a so great problem for you if he has american citizenship even if he was not born in the U.S.A.?
Well, would you consider someone to be Italian if they were a white boy from New York who made citizenship in Italy? Heck no, you wouldn't. You'd be knowing he has no idea how to make a real pizza. LOL

Hinesville, GA

Moves
28 Dec 05

Originally posted by Wulebgr
Most Issei are far more American than fourth generation Welsh, Irish, and Scottish because consent is far stronger than descent.

If Tashunca-uitco had played chess, there would have been a truly American GM. In his absence, Nakamura is as American as any others.
I'd say four generations or more and you pretty much can consider yourself an American, but that's just my opinion. I'd say my last name Adams says it all. Welsh baby! πŸ™‚))))))

G
ChessObsessed

Earth

Moves
28 Dec 05
1 edit

Well, would you consider someone to be Italian if they were a white boy from New York who made citizenship in Italy? Heck no, you wouldn't. You'd be knowing he has no idea how to make a real pizza. LOL
Im a white boy from New York, whose dad was from France, whos grandparents were from Italy, and who's mom was from Brooklyn.
I guess that makes me an american. Or at least some parts of an american....πŸ˜€
P.S. I cant make a pizza either....

m

Moves
28 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by Timothy2005
And yet Kasparov had no problem dominating the world until quite recently.
That's my point. The question was about Fischer, but the same thing applies on the international level. Before Kasparov, Karpov dominated. None of these new guys do so can't even be compared to those three.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
28 Dec 05

Originally posted by masscat
That's my point. Before Kasparov, Karpov dominated. None of these new guys do.
Yeah, let's talk about what "domination" is. Winning 19 games straight in grandmaster play - like Fischer? That's dominating! Beating Mark Taimanov - a grandmaster and brilliant player - 6 games to 0? That's Fischer. Let's face it. No one ever dominated like Fischer at his best. Not even Kasparov.

a

cavanaugh park

Moves
28 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by zakkwylder
Living proof that great chess players come from NY, USA. Nakamura is from NY as well 8 of the top 20 USCF rated players. I'm from NY, unfortunately I don't count.
I agree, New York has the highest population of any city, in the US, I would venture to say that New York is also the home of the worst chess players πŸ˜‰

Moves
28 Dec 05

Originally posted by alexstclaire
I agree, New York has the highest population of any city, in the US, I would venture to say that New York is also the home of the worst chess players πŸ˜‰
hey, susan polgar is playing in the US championships this coming year ... and she resides in nyc.

Hinesville, GA

Moves
29 Dec 05
1 edit

Originally posted by alexstclaire
I'd say New York houses the best players in America - next to Atlanta. It's a given when you consider Rochester, NY and Atlanta, GA have the two largest chess clubs in the United States of America. Oh, by the way, I was born in Atlanta. πŸ™‚