Need to redeem myself - chess question

Need to redeem myself - chess question

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

back in business

Moves
09 Feb 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
What??? You paid money for your chess set? I think you need to have YOUR head examined. I just scrounged up some scrap black and white paper, drew out a chess board, then cut out some paper black and white chess pieces! Didn't cost me nuthin'. 😛
How old are you? I didn't think they had internet access at your kindergarten?

e8

Moves
09 Feb 08

Why not devise a game where losing a piece is followed by losing a piece of clothing, that could make the party interesting. 🙄

e

Moves
09 Feb 08

Originally posted by Mad Rook
What??? You paid money for your chess set? I think you need to have YOUR head examined. I just scrounged up some scrap black and white paper, drew out a chess board, then cut out some paper black and white chess pieces! Didn't cost me nuthin'. 😛
Haha, the almost sad thing is that when I was little I actually did that. I had a checkers board but no chess set (or money) so I cut pieces of paper out so I could play. Now I've got pixels as my chess set, haha.

MR

Moves
09 Feb 08

Originally posted by elmiller
Haha, the almost sad thing is that when I was little I actually did that. I had a checkers board but no chess set (or money) so I cut pieces of paper out so I could play. Now I've got pixels as my chess set, haha.
I'm glad someone saw the humor in my post. 🙂 I didn't feel very good about taking a swipe at ludz's post, but I thought the idea was so funny that I couldn't resist. Ludz, nothing personal - Hopefully there are no hard feelings. I was just having a little light-hearted fun. 🙂

l

back in business

Moves
10 Feb 08

The idea of getting an $800 chess set particularly to play with your friends during a party is not practicable. Given the nature of the Original Poster's other post which raises a few eyebrows, he appears to be 'aving a bit of a laugh.

An $800 chess set (particularly the glass or marble ones) are museum pieces not something to bang away while making moves in a hurry.

FL

Moves
10 Feb 08

The OP merely said that he had seen a chess set for sale for $800, not that he was considering buying one himself. He clearly stated that his budget was $250, which is quite reasonable for a good quality wooden set.

l

back in business

Moves
10 Feb 08

Originally posted by million35
To all those who didnt like me posting my thread about a chess site with beautiful model photography in this section of the forum I apologize. I really didnt know where else to put it - but anyway.

I am leaning toward a 16" baord and a set that is made from marble with a king that is 3 1/4" or slightly larger. I am willing to pay up to $250. ...[text shortened]... ice about buying the best chess board for my money. Thanks again and good luck on the boards.
He talks of marble which is more an antique/museum/fashion item than one for banging away with your friends.

MR

Moves
11 Feb 08

Originally posted by Fat Lady
The OP merely said that he had seen a chess set for sale for $800, not that he was considering buying one himself. He clearly stated that his budget was $250, which is quite reasonable for a good quality wooden set.
Not only is $250 quite reasonable for a good quality wooden set, but imho $250 is probably at the lower limit of decent quality, if you're talking a standard tournament size. Figure at least $100 for something like a Drueke board. That leaves $150 for a wooden set. $150 goes very quickly when you're considering any kind of decent House of Staunton wooden set (unless you find a good deal on eBay). And that doesn't even factor in a decent wooden storage box.

l

back in business

Moves
11 Feb 08

Mad Rook ure p0wned.

MR

Moves
11 Feb 08

Originally posted by ludz
Mad Rook ure p0wned.
Hmm, I guess you're implying that I've been "taken in" by the OP's story? I recognize that it's not entirely clear that the OP is serious about getting a set. But at least he's entertaining. I enjoyed this post, regardless of whether or not it's based in truth. 😏

k

Sigulda, Latvia

Moves
11 Feb 08

I have a wooden set with 50 mm squares, a dark brown frame. Pieces (king is about 90 mm) are Staunton, hand-made. My mum brought them from Nirnberg in Germany. They cost some 30 euros or something. And the board I bought for 10 Ls (~16 euros) from a local chess school. They had ordered tens of new boards a few months ago from I don't know where, so probably cheaper then when buying a single board. The prices look low but the quality is pretty high and for learning and playing at home with friends it's just what I need.