1. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    05 Mar '06 23:45
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    But while your profile clearly is a joke, HomerJSimpson's profile sounds like a description of a real person, so I assumed that it was in fact a real description. Or does the comic (or cartoon, or whatever) character Homer Simpson like bowling (well, that would be possible) and chess (sounds rather unlikely)?
    Well, it's clearly a joke that I'm a water bottle. However, some people are still convinced that I'm female.
  2. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 00:16
    Originally posted by RahimK
    Post you name on here if you do.
    Derfel Cadarn.
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 00:53
    Originally posted by Derfel Cadarn
    Derfel Cadarn.
    See my previous post on page 2. That should help you.
  4. The sky
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 00:58
    Originally posted by ark13
    Well, it's clearly a joke that I'm a water bottle. However, some people are still convinced that I'm female.
    I am still convinced you are a walrus.
  5. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 01:02
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I am still convinced you are a walrus.
    I am. But that's why I'm certainly not a water bottle.
  6. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 01:12
    I am. But that's why I'm certainly not a water bottle.
    Can you guys please stop with this discussion.

Thanks.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 01:14
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    Good posting. Although I think it would be better to download winboard for free, install it and use these excercises from Fred Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and Combinations

http://www.chessville.com/downloads/downloads_tactical_exercises.htm
    Great puzzles. It would be great to have the solutions though, instead of having to run your program to get them.

Thanks.
  8. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 01:17
    Can you guys please stop with this discussion.

Thanks.
    Sure, but I honestly don't see what the point of this thread is.
  9. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 01:39
    Sure, but I honestly don't see what the point of this thread is.
    To help people get to 1400. I'm giving them the tools they need. I read books but I get them for free from our chess club. I know that some people don't have money to buy chess books like me. So i'm giving them links to chess sites which I have used also when i was beginning and I found helpful and they should get them over 1400. Look at the rating list, there are tons of players under 1400 and i'm sure they want to improve. We have all been there and I want to help them improve.

I played 3 blitz games against a Univ friend after class, 15 min each on yahoo. He said that he was decent compared to his friends and mostly when I ask, people say they suck, so i though hey maybe he is good.

His first 2 moves were, 1.h4 and 2.Rh4 . It's frustrating to see people spend months, and years and never improve 🙁
  10. Standard memberark13
    Enola Straight
    mouse mouse mouse
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 01:45
    To help people get to 1400. I'm giving them the tools they need. I read books but I get them for free from our chess club. I know that some people don't have money to buy chess books like me. So i'm giving them links to chess sites which I have used also when i was beginning and I found helpful and they should get them over 1400. Look at the rating list, the ...[text shortened]... .h4 and 2.Rh4 . It's frustrating to see people spend months, and years and never improve 🙁
    No, I understand that. But didn't you already give the resources?
  11. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 02:181 edit
    Originally posted by razor2007
    Rahim, if a class A player like yourself is offering lessons/training to help us lower players geet to 1400 I would gladly accept, so yes, I'm tyring to get to 1400.
    Simply buy Lev Alburt's Comprehensive Chess Course Series Volumes I & II, and you should easily surpass 1500 with only an hour of study a day in about six months. If you go hardcore and play through all 100 annotated games to the point you understand every move like I did, then you should approach 1700-1799. In that area. The second choice of being hardcore is what I did, and I'm beating 1700 players OTB regularly. Tactics for the Tournament player, the third volume, should take you beyond 1800 when completely applied to your play. It's hard work though, but it's well worth it. You don't even know the change in points until you play, and then you're asking yourself how did I get this much better? It's very strange. Before the course, I could not beat my 1700 chess computer. My rating on RHP was around 1400s. My highest rating so far after the course and moving rather quickly (as in quick chess) has been 1621 after the course. The course works! Enjoy your chess.

p.s. I should point out something very important that I think all aspiring class players should know. I only wish to point it out, because I fell for the same when I was attempting to discover the way to reach higher levels of chess strength. This is the advice: Do not study opening manuals and opening theory until you have fully studied tactics and endgame. The class player needs to study tactics and endgame more than opening theory. Guys who are 1500 carrying around opening manuals on the King's Indian Attack will never get to 1800 strength. Lev Alburt even says that in his course. Those players would be better off studying grandmaster games and looking for tactics combinations and themes. Anyway, just a piece of advice for you guys.
  12. Joined
    11 Jun '05
    Moves
    06 Mar '06 23:52
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Simply buy Lev Alburt's Comprehensive Chess Course Series Volumes I & II, and you should easily surpass 1500 with only an hour of study a day in about six months. If you go hardcore and play through all 100 annotated games to the point you understand every move like I did, then you should approach 1700-1799. In that area. The second choice of being ha ...[text shortened]... oking for tactics combinations and themes. Anyway, just a piece of advice for you guys.
    Yeah, I just bought one of the Lev Alburt books, it was the Chess Tactics for the Tournament player. I hope it helps out in terms of tactics study as I am only 1035 USCF and am trying to get higher lol. Is the book " Sharpen Your Tactics" any good also for tactics? I am currently reading Starting Out : Attacking Play by James Plaskett which isn't bad. He gives creative ways of attacking in terms of tactics etc.
  13. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 00:111 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    11 Jun '05
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 03:44
    I tried searching for him on google, wut books did he write?
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    07 Mar '06 04:18
    No, I understand that. But didn't you already give the resources?
    I did already give the resources. People might have question. You guys were discussing some off topic thing which wasn't contructive to this thread that's all.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree