Need help getting to 1400?

Need help getting to 1400?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Along the River

Moves
25 Aug 06

Originally posted by RahimK
They are a bit harder. I would say from 1300-1800. on Page 2 of this thread I gave a link to simpler ones. Try those first.

As for solutions. No. I am doing those puzzles also so what I do is open them up in a chess program like fritz, solve them in my head and then let the computer solve them and compare the two solutions.
Thanx. I have solved most of those simpler ones already.
I tried the same method what you mentioned, I figure out some solution but when playing with Fritz it make different moves, avoiding my solution.
I searched the net and found references to these puzzles in other forums. It looks that it has caused some headache to many beginner.

t

Bristol

Moves
25 Aug 06

my tip on maintaining the 1400 rating would be

DON'T GO ON HOLIDAY

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Aug 06

Originally posted by Antalk
Thanx. I have solved most of those simpler ones already.
I tried the same method what you mentioned, I figure out some solution but when playing with Fritz it make different moves, avoiding my solution.
I searched the net and found references to these puzzles in other forums. It looks that it has caused some headache to many beginner.
you should know then some of those puzzles are wrong. I did 20 so far and found 4 wrong ones so 1/5 is wrong to me.

A

Along the River

Moves
25 Aug 06

you should know then some of those puzzles are wrong. I did 20 so far and found 4 wrong ones so 1/5 is wrong to me.
It's really reassuring to know. I think first I'll read the "How to reasses your chess". I've just bought it today in a second hand bookstore.
It is like new, very good deal. It has a funny note inside, indicating that someone must had got it for birthday from a girlfriend and probably they broke up soon. Why else anyone would sell such a good gift?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
25 Aug 06

Originally posted by Antalk
It's really reassuring to know. I think first I'll read the "How to reasses your chess". I've just bought it today in a second hand bookstore.
It is like new, very good deal. It has a funny note inside, indicating that someone must had got it for birthday from a girlfriend and probably they broke up soon. Why else anyone would sell such a good gift?
Nopes Nopes!

Do at least 5 problems a day and then read your book. I do this and it only takes maximum 25 mintures will all the compture analysing and saving etc...

25 min is nothing. Then you can read your book.

Manchester, UK

Moves
26 Aug 06

I'D LOVE TO GET TO 1400 - THIS THREAD DOESN'T SEEM TO OFFER ANYTING OTHER THAN THE QUESTION - IS THERE AN OUTCOME HERE? IS ANYONE OFFERING TUTORIALS FOR EXAMPLE?

WHAT IS AN OPENING DAT BASE AND HOW DO YOU USE IT?!

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
26 Aug 06

Originally posted by The Ordinary Player
I'D LOVE TO GET TO 1400 - THIS THREAD DOESN'T SEEM TO OFFER ANYTING OTHER THAN THE QUESTION - IS THERE AN OUTCOME HERE? IS ANYONE OFFERING TUTORIALS FOR EXAMPLE?

WHAT IS AN OPENING DAT BASE AND HOW DO YOU USE IT?!
Page 2 half way down. I post my advice and links to websites databases, how to use them etc... Follow that.

l

Moves
29 Aug 06

Question for you Rahim, or anyone
what does all the infomation on an opening database mean? The percentage figure is kinda obvious. But what about the 2 diff ratings and the year etc?

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
29 Aug 06

Originally posted by lafredo
Question for you Rahim, or anyone
what does all the infomation on an opening database mean? The percentage figure is kinda obvious. But what about the 2 diff ratings and the year etc?
http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/opening-database-info.html

Don't feel like typing everything out.

Devout Agnostic.

DZ-015

Moves
02 Sep 06

bump for me

i've never read it before

Moves
29 Sep 06

bump

K

Moves
07 Oct 06

Hey There RahimK. Following you advice and some of the links I have reached 1400 now i have to maintain it.

Thanks for the help.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
07 Oct 06

Originally posted by Khan
Hey There RahimK. Following you advice and some of the links I have reached 1400 now i have to maintain it.

Thanks for the help.
Great job. Check out the other thread, getting to 1600. It's in the chess forum a couple pages back.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
12 Oct 06

Self-Auto BUMP.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
13 Oct 06

Self-Auto BUMP.
Self Bump.