Nakamura's recent opening oversight

Nakamura's recent opening oversight

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pp

Moves
03 Sep 09

Not exactly sure if this is an oversight because I know absolutely nothing about the sicilian, and it has been played more than 100 times in my database (with a terrible score though). But it seems to me white basically loses a pawn for almost no compensation other than a slight dark square weakness.

Nakamura does fight back and gain the pawn and some initiative, but loses in the end.

here's the position after white's 8.Nb3, black to move:

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
03 Sep 09

I don't play that kind of sicilian either, but I remember watching this game and the commentator (larry christiansen?) saying Nb3 was a well-known error in the opening.

I tried looking for the video on ICC but can't find it. I thought it was one of the GOTDs from the NH chess tournament, but apparently not?

ah scratch that, found it, it's in the beginning of the round 6 smeets vs. beliavsky GOTD video. - the problem was naka got his move order mixed up, he should've castled first before Nb3.

O

An airport near you

Moves
03 Sep 09

Nakamura claims it was intentional:
https://webcast.chessclub.com/blog/2009/08/27/nakamura-lacking-focus/

rc

Moves
03 Sep 09

Originally posted by Osse
Nakamura claims it was intentional:
https://webcast.chessclub.com/blog/2009/08/27/nakamura-lacking-focus/
yes however when asked about it again though, he was quite cagey!

San Francisco, CA US

Moves
03 Sep 09

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes however when asked about it again though, he was quite cagey!
He was ill, literally bleeding over the chess board. That would be my excuse and should be his.

rc

Moves
03 Sep 09

Originally posted by ParShooter
He was ill, literally bleeding over the chess board. That would be my excuse and should be his.
yes, if one has the flu, you know what it is like, you just wanna rest, mental exertion is just out of the question.

CCC Club Leader

Denver, CO

Moves
04 Sep 09

This is only a minor setback for Naka...
He will come back and kick butt at Wik aan Zee.

Wait and see...