My OTB game is affected.

My OTB game is affected.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K

Moves
13 Oct 06

Hello

I had been very active on internet chess play for the last few weeks due to which I think my over the board game has been affected. I used to win games from a friend of mine but now i make foolish mistakes and dont know what's wrong with me. There are no chess clubs nor any place where tournaments are held, If I play chess with myself(Me on bothsides) then will that be any better?

Thank You

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by Khan
Hello

I had been very active on internet chess play for the last few weeks due to which I think my over the board game has been affected. I used to win games from a friend of mine but now i make foolish mistakes and dont know what's wrong with me. There are no chess clubs nor any place where tournaments are held, If I play chess with myself(Me on bothsides) then will that be any better?

Thank You
I run a G/90+5 team league online. The only condition is that you have to be a (full) member of the playchess server to enter. Most of the people who enter are club players so you could expect some good games 🙂

Moves
13 Oct 06

Iv tried playing against myself, I did expect most games to end in draws, but because im crap at chess I made mistakes which I didnt see at the time but became apparent later on in the game making most games won or lost. As for learning it helps a little but is very boring and not really giving yourself a wide range of chess experience/input of new ideas from outside your norm.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
13 Oct 06

Hello

Thank You
Play online if you have to but use slower time controls. 30 minutes each is ideal but even 15 minutes each is better then blitz chess.

Moving to quick leads to blunder and when you play blitz you get into the habit of moving to quick and thus you play poorly in OTB.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
13 Oct 06

Hello

Thank You
I disagree with you that RHP makes OTB play worse see Thread 53980.

However if you are playing blitz on-line then stop. Take as much time thinking about your moves as you would OTB and use opening books to facilitate improvement here.

z

Moves
13 Oct 06
1 edit

Hello

Thank You
It appears as if you are addicted to bullet chess and this has completely ruined your game.

See http://beta.uschess.org/frontend/askGM_24_22.php from US GM Benjamin.

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
13 Oct 06

Originally posted by Dragon Fire
I disagree with you that RHP makes OTB play worse see Thread 53980.

However if you are playing blitz on-line then stop. Take as much time thinking about your moves as you would OTB and use opening books to facilitate improvement here.
Depends how you play on Rhp though.

Are you blitz out the moves?

Are you continuoulsy using the analysis board and not your brain?

All these are bad things about Rhp.

You gotta use it properly for it to help you improve at OTB.

K

Moves
13 Oct 06

By that I meant i was very active on RHP but not OTB so I think this is why it created problems when I switched back to OTB games and secondly I think i had been very dependent upon the analyze board so to confirm moves. Anyhow I think I played really nice with my brother today and my brother said that he would play atleast 2 games OTB daily with me. Can anyone tell me how can i find mine and my brother's rating OTB.

Thanks

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
13 Oct 06

By that I meant i was very active on RHP but not OTB so I think this is why it created problems when I switched back to OTB games and secondly I think i had been very dependent upon the analyze board so to confirm moves. Anyhow I think I played really nice with my brother today and my brother said that he would play atleast 2 games OTB daily with me. Can anyone tell me how can i find mine and my brother's rating OTB.

Thanks
No, join a chess club and find out.

You can't compared any online ratings with OTB ratings. You just can't.

K

Moves
14 Oct 06
2 edits

But there aren't any clubs around me so I dont know If that would be possible for me. If anyone tell me a method of calculating OTB ratings that would be nice if possible.

Thank you

R

Edmonton, Alberta

Moves
14 Oct 06

But there aren't any clubs around me so I dont know If that would be possible for me. If anyone tell me a method of calculating OTB ratings that would be nice if possible.

Thank you
Otb rating = Rhp +/- 400 points.

That's as close as you can get and still be right.

J

back in business

Moves
14 Oct 06

Originally posted by RahimK
Otb rating = Rhp +/- 400 points.

That's as close as you can get and still be right.
my rhp rating: 1540
otb rating: 1990

difference: 450 points

c

Moves
14 Oct 06

Originally posted by Jusuh
my rhp rating: 1540
otb rating: 1990

difference: 450 points
Well it WAS 1570 - and you didn't peak. You obviously know this, so stop being a b**ch.

J

back in business

Moves
14 Oct 06

Originally posted by cmsMaster
Well it WAS 1570 - and you didn't peak. You obviously know this, so stop being a b**ch.
right...

c

Moves
14 Oct 06

Originally posted by Jusuh
right...
Ok? Not a very creative response, but ok....